Hairdresser / stylist seeking urgent 457 or RSMS employment sponsorship

ThinusleRoux

Hi everyone, I've posted on this site before but thought we'd give it another shot.

My wife is a fully qualified hairdresser with 12 plus years' experience and we're desperately looking for 457 or RSMS sponsorship, preferably in Western Australia as we have family in Busselton.

We've sent out literally hundreds of applications (SEEK, Gumtree, Indeed etc. etc.) and have only had two vaguely interested responses thus far, but it seems almost impossible to find sponsorship for a hairdresser unless you are onshore!

We have a 5 year old son and desperately want to make the move as soon as possible as we would want our son to start school in Aus rather sooner than later as we don't want him to fall behind in any way.

So, if anyone can possibly help or knows someone who might be willing to consider a sponsorship for a hairdresser, please let me know. You could PM message me or email me at tlrxoom@gmail.com.

Thanks for all the other great advice and helpful stories on the forum.

Kind regards,

Thinus

• Like 1

Someone mentioned on the forum that they were looking for an Afrikaans hairdresser in Perth. I will try find the link.

Thanks Jordy, I know about this one.

When we called the salon at the time, the receptionist didn't anything about a job opening, much less about for someone who is Afrikaans speaking.

I'll try again and see if I can't maybe somehow get the owner's email address.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Thinus

Just out of interest, why do you want employer sponsorship?
As far as I can see, WA offers state sponsorship for the occupation Hairdresser - 391111

Hi Sianvz, yes, she does qualify for state sponsorship in WA, but as we understand it the whole process is much faster with an actual employment sponsorship application.

Be that as it may, it seems we will be better off just starting the application process for state sponsorship on SC190 for WA. The thing is, money is a bit tight at the moment and the agents' fees are no joke....

Regards,

As far as I can see, in the time it's taking you to find an employer who is actually willing to sponsor you, you could be applying for state sponsorship...it's not going to cost you a lot more than employer sponsorship, the only extra cost is skills assessment (about R6000) and state sponsorship (WA is about R2000) - I'm estimating here based on exchange rate and I say only, because it's not much in the greater scheme of things.

My husband couldn't get his employer to sponsor him when he did an 11 month paid internship at a winery in WA in 2010 (thus we are back in SA and missioning to get back to Oz). My brother was in WA with us and he was fortunate to get a job that was willing to sponsor him and has been there since on an RSMS visa. His employer was super helpful and did a lot of the paperwork for him, but he said it has been quite frustrating being stuck in the same job for 2 years and is finally coming to the end of it now and will have his residency and can move on to another job. It's not necessarily quicker or easier, in fact it requires a lot of admin from the person who is sponsoring and there are all sorts of financial and contractual obligations that the employer must abide by. Very tough finding someone willing to go to that effort for a stranger. And if something changes before the end of the two years, you have to find another employer to sponsor you otherwise you have to leave.

If I were you, I'd get going with the skills assessment for her occupation. Either way it's a great thing to attach to your cv even if you don't go the state sponsorship route in the end. You don't necessarily need an agent, yes it is a great help and load off your shoulders if you can afford it, but the skills assessment is the easier part of the process. My husband and I initially did it ourselves for his occupation and we got the positive skills assessment, but then his occupation became unavailable suddenly and we couldn't get state sponsorship, so we decided to find out about going on my occupation and got an agent to avoid the same thing happening again. I do feel we could have gone it alone, but wasn't up for that stress again and just want to get over to OZ asap and I had heard that an agent can speed things up purely because of their experience and if you can choose an agent that's in Australia then they are a direct route for posting things which also helps a bit.

Put the occupation code into Google and read up on the job description, you only need to provide reference letters from jobs that you feel confident you can claim experience for (maximum 8 years is all you can claim so don't go further back than that). It's best to type the reference letter yourself (use all the key words that use in the job description and duties - only if they are true of course) then get previous employers to print on a letterhead and sign, you will also need to provide certified copies of documents like qualifications and proof of paid employment for the experience you're claiming. But the relevant assessing body will tell you everything you need to know!

Our agent is Stephen Dickson, and he is great because he does each step at a time. As soon as an agent wants to charge you their full fee upfront, run!
Some agents will even charge a small fee to check all your paperwork for you if you know what you're doing but just want to be sure. This way you save a bit, but any mistakes will get picked up before you submit stuff.

Just my opinion, but all the best with your decision!