Selling your car in South Africa

wendym

With all the planning to "wrap up" our lives before we leave for Australia, the selling of my car worries/concerns me the most.

I'm assuming that the best would be for me to sell my car privately in order to obtain the best price. However, when I hear of stories about hijacking and kidnapping etc when meeting strangers to view your vehicle, I'm scared as hell. It would be a lot easier if my OH was here to be my "backup" but the plan is for him to leave a couple months ahead of my daughter and I.

I've been contemplating selling directly to a dealership and forfeit the better price......

What are your thoughts and advice on this subject?

Try AA Autobay - they take their "cut", but all the risk and guarantee payment.

About R5000 on R150,000 sale - my brother used them and they really make sure all parties are protected.

Otherwise - ensure you have all the paperwork done and sign a POA with a trusted family member or friend - they can then sell the car taking their time and getting the better price.

• Like 1

A dealer will rip you off - totally, but you will have the money the next day * just don't mention you are emigrating, they will give you nothing for the car as they know you will normally be desperate to sell the car.

• Like 2

Rather spend the time you would have spent to sell the car privately to clean and enjoy the last weekends in SA.

The cleaning and preparations take a LOT of time out of a weekend and there is always things you forgot about.

We still have a huge ToDo list with comments, ticks, arrows and things to take on the plane - I ticked off all my things before I boarded and my wife still has her things to do before they come and pack up the house.

A whiteboard was a life saver! need to get one here - only problem is with a rental I cannot put it up on a wall :(

Best of luck!

Rather spend the time you would have spent to sell the car privately to clean and enjoy the last weekends in SA.

The cleaning and preparations take a LOT of time out of a weekend and there is always things you forgot about.

We still have a huge ToDo list with comments, ticks, arrows and things to take on the plane - I ticked off all my things before I boarded and my wife still has her things to do before they come and pack up the house.

A whiteboard was a life saver! need to get one here - only problem is with a rental I cannot put it up on a wall :(

Best of luck!

You are 100% correct. I'm already waking up earlier each morning to do odd things around the house. We don't have a whiteboard but I've stuck coloured flash cards on our bedroom door. So far this seems to be working. It just seems I'm removing the "working days left" cards faster than the tasks cards :blink:

I've also heard that it is better to meet people at a fueling station as there are cameras around, when selling privately. No need to meet them at your house!

• Like 1

Agree about selling cars nowdays in SA, ive just sold some things online and the amount of scamsters trying to fool me was so pathetic, I even tried to report these savages to the police but it was too difficult - one phone number I was told to call at commercial unit just rang and rang!!! Pathetic! probably they were on long lunch doing their scamming on these particular selling sites! :whome:

I'm currently selling my car, have been on hold for one guy trying to get "finance"... I reckon 2 weeks has been way too long, time to let that fish go.

It's difficult indeed.

I buy and sell vehicles and still have about 6months before I leave.

If you tell me the make and model and what you want for it maybe I can help

Kia Sportage, 2010 2.0 AWD, MY11. 40030km's. Full spec audio with sub and reverse camera with park distance. Very great condition still. Full service history at the dealers.

I'm trying to get R235000 for it.

With all the planning to "wrap up" our lives before we leave for Australia, the selling of my car worries/concerns me the most.

I'm assuming that the best would be for me to sell my car privately in order to obtain the best price. However, when I hear of stories about hijacking and kidnapping etc when meeting strangers to view your vehicle, I'm scared as hell. It would be a lot easier if my OH was here to be my "backup" but the plan is for him to leave a couple months ahead of my daughter and I.

I've been contemplating selling directly to a dealership and forfeit the better price......

What are your thoughts and advice on this subject?

If you're going to handle the process alone I'd say consider the suggestion above regarding AA Autobay or consider selling to a dealer. I just don't think the risk is worth the reward when it comes to a private sale! Edited by Brad76
  • Like 1

Kia Sportage, 2010 2.0 AWD, MY11. 40030km's. Full spec audio with sub and reverse camera with park distance. Very great condition still. Full service history at the dealers.

I'm trying to get R235000 for it.

If you got R235000 for it you could buy a brand new one for that in Australia. They sell for $27490 brand new

Last year someone posted a thread about a car dealer in Pretoria that was very reasonable and also allowed them to keep the car till the last day just before they left. Maybe just search for that and try that dealer?

If you're going to handle the process alone I'd say consider the suggestion above regarding AA Autobay or consider selling to a dealer. I just don't think the risk is worth the reward when it comes to a private sale!

I tend to agree with Brad76 on this.

Remember that at about 9:1, the money 'lost' getting it sold reliably through a dealer and off your list of worries will probably only amount to your annual insurance and rego fees here.

In my opinion, you have enough other stuff to worry about.

I sold my Citroen C4 privately before we left and considered my self lucky the deal didn't fall through or turn ugly - we rented a Corolla for the last month in ZA - it wasn't cheap, but it was better than the alternative - which is what I had with my motorbike.

4-year-old BMW F800 ST in excellent condition - I tried to sell that privately for about 5 months and even though I had quite a few interested people, I eventually had to sell it through a dealer AFTER we had left the country - they knew they had me over the proverbial barrel and instead of the R50k I was hoping for, I got R22k. No-one to blame but myself.

Good luck and I hope you get as much as possible.

If you got R235000 for it you could buy a brand new one for that in Australia. They sell for $27490 brand new

Na, will rather use the money to fund some of the other relocation costs ;)

Hi,

My husband needed to sell his car in sa in the last couple of weeks, I am already in Aus.

The dealer offered him a shockingly low amount.

I posted on facebook that the car is available and within a day a friend of a friend showed interest.

They paid upfront and fetched the car last saturday, and we got very close to price we wanted.

My point is- use social media, especially if you are nervous of the internet. Atleast on facebook the only people who could see my ad was friends, and friends of friends, in my opinion lowering the risk of dodgies and scammers.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

My wife put up a notice at her school and one of the parents bought her old car, just make sure you have a good contract that is in line with the consumer protection act (to protect yourself!)

• Like 1

My wife put up a notice at her school and one of the parents bought her old car, just make sure you have a good contract that is in line with the consumer protection act (to protect yourself!)

OMW!! I thought "voetstoots" was still acceptable when selling a 2nd hand car... thanks for the tip

OMW!! I thought "voetstoots" was still acceptable when selling a 2nd hand car... thanks for the tip

It is not easy as it used to be. Google "South African car sale contract", use some resources from there and read up and familiarise yourself on the CPA.

We typed up a contract, put the make, model, colour(s), vin number and mileage followed by a list all the defects (no matter how minor). We also put in a line that it is to the best of your knowledge that the vehicle is in operating condition (this is a little of the voetstoets) and both parties sign and have it witnessed. The buyer has 3 months to come back with any problems that may arise (from what I have read and been told).

Fortunately we sold it to a chap who was happy to buy it with a dud engine and two panels that needed to be replaced and a few minor problems. We went though all the defects the vehicle had, made sure he was happy and did the transaction.

• Like 1

It is not easy as it used to be. Google "South African car sale contract", use some resources from there and read up and familiarise yourself on the CPA.

We typed up a contract, put the make, model, colour(s), vin number and mileage followed by a list all the defects (no matter how minor). We also put in a line that it is to the best of your knowledge that the vehicle is in operating condition (this is a little of the voetstoets) and both parties sign and have it witnessed. The buyer has 3 months to come back with any problems that may arise (from what I have read and been told).

Fortunately we sold it to a chap who was happy to buy it with a dud engine and two panels that needed to be replaced and a few minor problems. We went though all the defects the vehicle had, made sure he was happy and did the transaction.

CPA does not apply to once off privste sales, act only regulates business transactions.

Existing legal structures are available to private buyers, as always.

I buy and sell vehicles and still have about 6months before I leave.

If you tell me the make and model and what you want for it maybe I can help

We need to sell our 2009 VW Tiguan 44000km spotless. Full maint. Hist. and our run around 2008 Yaris T3-Spirit - 5Dr - , 36 000km. Few scratches and 9K panel beating to do. (Dealer offered 65K) - we need to use them until the last week in March '13

- What do you think Marius?

Edited by TonyV

Well, we sold my Kia Sportage for R225000 :)

Just glad that one's done and dusted :D

Hmmmmm, battling to sell my car. Leave in three weeks time. Had a 'buyer' getting finance but fell through.

Doesnt help that I have a difficult car to sell. Volvo S80 V8, amazing car though!. Anybody know someone that can help?

Currently sitting at a dealer, Im lucky that I have a loan car from family but as you know dealers are happy to wait until you leave so they can offer you stupid prices on cars.

If anyone knows someone that can help, let me know please.

• Like 1