• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 GideonVD

GideonVD

Escapee in Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Interests:Cars, paintball, computers and gaming ;)
  • Landed:Aug 2013
  • RSA Location:Pretoria, Gauteng
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

If you got R235000 for it you could buy a brand new one for that in Australia. They sell for $27490 brand new

Na, will rather use the money to fund some of the other relocation costs ;)

#17 Elmarie61

Elmarie61

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Tv production, Design, Art, Books, Animals, teaching, Music, my husband, Australia, Good food, Holidays
  • RSA Location:Johannesburg

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hi,

My husband needed to sell his car in sa in the last couple of weeks, I am already in Aus.
The dealer offered him a shockingly low amount.
I posted on facebook that the car is available and within a day a friend of a friend showed interest.
They paid upfront and fetched the car last saturday, and we got very close to price we wanted.
My point is- use social media, especially if you are nervous of the internet. Atleast on facebook the only people who could see my ad was friends, and friends of friends, in my opinion lowering the risk of dodgies and scammers.
Good luck!!
  • wendym likes this

#18 AlBrough

AlBrough

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:MRR, Karate, Bonsai
  • Landed:May 2014
  • RSA Location:PMB
  • Language:English/Afrikaans

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

My wife put up a notice at her school and one of the parents bought her old car, just make sure you have a good contract that is in line with the consumer protection act (to protect yourself!)

• wendym likes this

#19 wendym

wendym

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Landed:Jul 2013
  • RSA Location:Edenvale

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

My wife put up a notice at her school and one of the parents bought her old car, just make sure you have a good contract that is in line with the consumer protection act (to protect yourself!)

OMW!! I thought "voetstoots" was still acceptable when selling a 2nd hand car... thanks for the tip

#20 AlBrough

AlBrough

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

OMW!! I thought "voetstoots" was still acceptable when selling a 2nd hand car... thanks for the tip

It is not easy as it used to be. Google "South African car sale contract", use some resources from there and read up and familiarise yourself on the CPA.

We typed up a contract, put the make, model, colour(s), vin number and mileage followed by a list all the defects (no matter how minor). We also put in a line that it is to the best of your knowledge that the vehicle is in operating condition (this is a little of the voetstoets) and both parties sign and have it witnessed. The buyer has 3 months to come back with any problems that may arise (from what I have read and been told).

Fortunately we sold it to a chap who was happy to buy it with a dud engine and two panels that needed to be replaced and a few minor problems. We went though all the defects the vehicle had, made sure he was happy and did the transaction.

• wendym likes this

#21 AlBrough

AlBrough

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Some guidelines to use

#22 benp

benp

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Landed:Jan 2014
  • RSA Location:Cape Town
  • Language:English

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

It is not easy as it used to be. Google "South African car sale contract", use some resources from there and read up and familiarise yourself on the CPA.

We typed up a contract, put the make, model, colour(s), vin number and mileage followed by a list all the defects (no matter how minor). We also put in a line that it is to the best of your knowledge that the vehicle is in operating condition (this is a little of the voetstoets) and both parties sign and have it witnessed. The buyer has 3 months to come back with any problems that may arise (from what I have read and been told).
Fortunately we sold it to a chap who was happy to buy it with a dud engine and two panels that needed to be replaced and a few minor problems. We went though all the defects the vehicle had, made sure he was happy and did the transaction.

CPA does not apply to once off privste sales, act only regulates business transactions.
Existing legal structures are available to private buyers, as always.

#23 TonyV

TonyV

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Choir (Barbershop), RC toys mainly gliders, Fishing, Boating.
  • Landed:Apr 2013
  • RSA Location:Randburg

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

I buy and sell vehicles and still have about 6months before I leave.

If you tell me the make and model and what you want for it maybe I can help

We need to sell  our 2009 VW Tiguan 44000km  spotless. Full maint. Hist. and our run around  2008 Yaris T3-Spirit - 5Dr - , 36 000km. Few scratches and 9K panel beating to do. (Dealer offered 65K) -  we need to use them until the last week in March '13  

- What do you think Marius? 

Edited by TonyV, 05 February 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#24 GideonVD

GideonVD

Escapee in Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Interests:Cars, paintball, computers and gaming ;)
  • Landed:Aug 2013
  • RSA Location:Pretoria, Gauteng

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

Well, we sold my Kia Sportage for R225000 :)

Just glad that one's done and dusted :D

#25 OfftoOz

OfftoOz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Landed:Mar 2013
  • RSA Location:Johannesburg
  • Language:English

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hmmmmm, battling to sell my car. Leave in three weeks time. Had a 'buyer' getting finance but fell through.

Doesnt help that I have a difficult car to sell. Volvo S80 V8, amazing car though!. Anybody know someone that can help?

Currently sitting at a dealer, Im lucky that I have a loan car from family but as you know dealers are happy to wait until you leave so they can offer you stupid prices on cars.

If anyone knows someone that can help, let me know please.

• wendym likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users