PR and 457 visa?

AnnieL

Can someone please help me with information - I can not find an answer on the immi-site. If you have a 457 visa, can you do an EOI and apply for PR (189 visa) if your occupation is on the skilled occupation list and you will have more than 60 points? I am a bit concerned about the risks attached to the 457 visa.

According to a post by Steven Dickson, yes, you can.

There is another advantage and that is that if you have an EOI in, and your employer cancels the 457, you can stay on a bridging visa (according to Steven as I understood it).

So get over immediately on the sponsored one and get the EOI in.

• Like 1

Excellent news, Oubaas Dik. Now hubby just needs to bag that job... It's in Broken Hill - where the Outback begins....

Actually it may have been TeeTMI who posted it. If neither of them pops up, please check. Hate you to come out here with great expectations due to my faulty memory.

If hubby gets the job, we will go, regardless of whether we can do the EOI or not. I will just feel much better about it if it will be possible to still do the PR application. We live in Rustenburg, which is largely sustained by the platinum mines. Amplats just announced plans to retrench up to 14000 people. While that doen not directly affect us, in the long run it has to affect the town (city)'s economy. I have been retrenched twice in two years, I do not want to be in that situation again, even if it means moving to Broken Hill on a 457! I will rather take my chances there.

I took the jump with a 457 and we were able to get it converted to an Employer Sponsored PR visa (used to be an 856 - but they've changed all the numbers).

If we hadn't taken it, we wouldn't be here at all.

If you don't have funny health or other issues that may prevent PR, I'd say go for it.

get in if you can and do the pr process from there....pretty sure ou baas is correct although not 100% Good luck!

Hi Annie

You can still apply for PR if you are on a 457.

If you meet the selection criteria for any of the skilled or employer sponsored (direct stream) PR visas you may apply for these at any time you are eligible.

If you do not meet the selection criteria for those visas, an alternative pathway would be using the employer sponsored (transitional stream). Here, assuming both you and the employer remain eligible - the employer can sponsor you for PR after you have been working in your nominated occupation with your employer for two years.

If your plans are to remain in Australia over the long term the security of full PR is good to have.

Edited by TeeTMI