NB! Double check your EOI Points Claimed!

SD_MOA

Hello All,

DIAC have recently been issuing correspondence to skillselect applicants that have lodged their EOI’s but not yet been invited to apply for their visa. In this correspondence they ask that the EOI applicant checks the points claimed to ensure they are correct.

The reason for this is that if DIAC make an invitation to apply for a visa based on a points score that turns out to be less than claimed DIAC must refuse the application – even if the applicants adjusted score is still above the pass mark.

For instance an applicant may believe they can claim 8 years out of the last 10 in their nominated (or closely related) occupation and be awarded 15 points. This may then give them a total of 70 points. When DIAC process the application and only award 10 points for work experience they will be required to refuse the application even though the persons adjusted points score is 65 (still above the pass mark).

Apparently the reason for the DIAC communication is that they have been finding this happening a lot in the skills select system.

If your application is refused or you withdraw the application your application fee is not refunded.

If an application is refused a 3 year ban from re-applying could be imposed.

So the moral of the story is don’t over claim your points position in the hope that you will be invited to apply at an earlier date. Also read all of the questions carefully to ensure you understand what you are claiming for as a couple of the questions are a bit ambiguous.

Regards

• Like 2

Hi Stephen

Please could you clarify something here for me, when I filled in the EOI at no stage did it ask me to "claim" points, I merely had to fill in the work experience details and dates as well as the qualifications etc. As far as I understand it the EOI automatically calculates the points according to information filled in. I would then assume that if you filled in false information in the work experience section that would be seen as false information and not over claiming points.

What I'm basically asking is that how does one over claim points if you only fill in information and not actually claim points during the EOI?

If I am not mistaken, you request a points advice from the people who are assessing your skills. When they come back to you with a positive asessment, they should also give you the number of points that you can claim. So if you put that you have 10 years experience, but then they say you only have 5 years relevant experience, then you can ONLY put 5 years down on your EOI. Am I correct in thinking this?

as teacher assessed by aitsl, i requested a statement by them indicating that my teaching was relevant and i just added all those in and submitted the statement by aitsl with my application.

As DIAC have changed the rules play it safe and request the advice from the experts to avoid disappointment as you are investing in your future

As DIAC have changed the rules play it safe and request the advice from the experts to avoid disappointment as you are investing in your future

SD_MOA is the expert (Migration Agent).

Hello Heoj,

You are correct you don't claim points as such (which perhaps makes it even more confusing). Almost every question you answer (Age, English skills, qualifications, work history etc) is related to a points calculation taking place automatically in the background. If you inadvertantly answer one of these questions 'incorrectly' that is when you can run into trouble.

I hope this clarifies the process.

Regards

It is very confusing because I have done my EOI but just waiting for my skills assessmenet to confirm things. But my calculations and what the system says are different. Somehow the system gives me 5 to 10 points more than I was expecting. So it is nerve racking because if its wrong I could find myself in trouble. But I will go through it with a fine tooth comb again when my skills are assessed.

Hello ACTuality,

You are correct it is a badly designed system in that it does not provide a points breakdown to confirm your individual mark allocations. If your expected score does not match the score assigned then I would be rechecking your answers to ensure you have not claimed something inadvertently.

Regards

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

All this is nerve-racking. This is my first post to the forum after spending some time reading through most of the post. My partner and I are in the process of starting the ball rolling.

I have a question regarding partner points and the Skill lists (My partner being the main applicant) Regarding the SOL and CSOL's. If you apply for a Skilled Independent Visa (sc 189), which of the lists will be used for his skill? Reason for asking. As I understand my skill (secondary applicant) should be on the same list in order to claim partner points. My occupation is on the CSOL but not on the SOL (His skill is on both). It seems that die CSOL is only used for the Skilled Nominated Visa (sc 190). Is this correct?

Would I also have to complete IELTS in order to confirm these points and if so which module (General or Academic).

TRA is indicated as the body to asses my skill. Is this also a requirement or will my certificate from the institution I studied with suffice for the 5 points?

Thank you for this forum, you will be hearing a lot from us in the future.

Edited by Izakia

Welcome to the forum !

The 189 visa is chosen of the SOL lists.

Sorry I can't be of further assistance, but I am sure the other forumites will soon help out with your questions

Good luck !

• 3 weeks later...

So I now find myself in this tricky situation. My EOI came back at 70 points initially and I was invited to apply for a 190 SS Visa based on this. My DIAC Case Officer just emailed me to tell me that she's calculated my points at 65 and I need to find another 5 points.

Any advice will be most welcome, please.

Maybe you would like to do the following. What did you claim for that = 70. What did the case officer tell you about there calculation and what is it that you claimed for 5 points that they are disputing ?

Ive tried to look at this already. The CO has given me a breakdown of my points, but there is no breakdown of the original 70 Points on Skillselect for me to compare to. The way I see it is that I wll have to eithertry and find another 5 points, or ask ACT to amend their sposnsorhip letter from 70 to 65 points. I'm not sure if this is a valid option though. I need to find a way of doing this without my application being rejected.

• 1 month later...

So if your EOI comes back saying you can claim a certain number of points, once you apply for the actual visa having paid $$$, the case officer can come back to you saying you have not the recommended amount of points the EOI confirmed you had?

Edited by cmclellen

This all seems a bit crazy to me. I have worked for 13 years, since graduation. Would it be better to play it safe and only calculate points for 5 years rather than 8. I would hate for a CO to start disputing the work experience. My big issue is that the assessing of my degree specifically excludes work experience, so I have to rely on the opinion of the DIAC CO. What if I apply for 65 points & they say that I have 70. Is that a problem too?

I have 13 years work experience, but could only get references for 5-in this case, would they only give 5 even though i've had 13 in the industry?

So, the DIAC have changed the policy on this whole points thing. If you have made a genuine mistake on your EOI and you still qulify for 60 points or more after correcting your error, this will now be allowed. My points were corrected from 70 to 65 and my original application is going ahead.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, the DIAC have changed the policy on this whole points thing. If you have made a genuine mistake on your EOI and you still qulify for 60 points or more after correcting your error, this will now be allowed. My points were corrected from 70 to 65 and my original application is going ahead.

Hi Classicman,

This is fantastic news as we now sit with the same problem, made a small mistake on our EOI and now busy with the CO. Where can I find some info on these changes, or how did you know about this, or was it just at their own discretion with your application??

Thanks so much

Adel

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to find out the number of points I would qualify for having a BSc computer science degree (3 year degree - didn't do my honours) obtained from University of Pretoria as it is a little vague on the site as it mentions qualifications obtained from Australian institutions.

Hi acmac

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

On page 26 of the PDF, it shows you'll get 15 points for a bachelors degrees (undergrad, honours and masters) awarded by EITHER an Australian institution or overseas institution of a recognised standard. That means, when you submit your qualifications (degree) and work experience to ACS, they'll decide if you're qualification and work experience are positive for the purposes of migration and what kind of AUSTRALIAN qualification it is equivalent to. In my case, it was equivalent to an AQF Bachelors Honours so yours will be (after they confirm it) the equivalent of an AQF Bachelors.

All in all, the ACS "converts" your qualification to be assessed as if it were an Australian qualification and thus the points are identical between Australian and Overseas qualifications. It's the work experience that counts less from overseas compared with Australian.

I have submitted my EOI, but have recently recieved a reply back from an old company of mine with proof of additional years employment. I was wondering, as I did not include this as part of my assessment submission, could I still include and claim these extra years as part of my EOI? Would they consider it even though not included in my assessment outsome?

• 1 month later...

i apppleid for wrong work experience because of the acs reduced the years of experience which affected our points from 65to 60 the co told us that he will adjust this mistake and to continue in the process what should i do i am afraid to be rejected loss our money or banned or it is better to make withdrawl plzzzzzz advise me

Hey mawa... don't withdraw you will be fine on 60 points. Same thing happened to us and it got adjusted and were fine. They have new rules in place now, not rejecting or banning people that much anymore. :)