Tourist Visa Subclass 676 for Parents

ATLAST2011

Our parents are coming to visit us in December from South Africa. We are applying for a Tourist Visa Subclass 676 for them - and true to our nature, we left it to the last minute and did it the wrong way around (plane tickets first and then visas - OEPS :blush: ).

We noticed on the Checklist of documents to be handed in with the application that an "unabridged birth certificate" is mentioned.

Do they really need this for the appliction? This was the first we heard of it.

They are only coming to visit for 4 weeks.

Thanks for your help!

Not sure if you can still apply for a visa for them - and if I'm not mistaken it will have to be a subclass 679 visa and not 676. Unfortunately, the cut-off date for subclass 679 visas for December holidays was a week ago on 2 November - see this link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/whats-new.htm

Hi Atlas, My parents always visit on a 676 (much less hassle than the 679 and easier with less requirements). I cannot see the birth certificate requirement you mention on the checklist. My parents were never required to submit this on a 676. I just had to provide an invitation letter (by email to travel agent who apply for visa) stating that they will stay with me and I will carry all there living costs (you may want to sent bank records as prove you can afford to look after them to play it safe- I had to the first time they came to visit).

Quoted from application checklist:

"if visiting close family in Australia (who is a citizen or

permanent resident of Australia), a letter of invitation to

visit;

• other information to show that you have an incentive

and authority to return to your country of residence,

such as property or other significant assets in your

home country."

Here is a link to application form and checklist: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/48r.pdf

Just note if your parents or one of them are over 75 they have to go for a medical check-up at a approved doctor (you can phone the embassy for list of approved doctors). You are certainly cutting it short and definitely to late for 679 , but when my mom applied earlier this year for a 676, she got her visa within a week from the time her travel agent lodged the application.

For this visa you did it the right way by purchasing the tickets first. You have to show evidence of return tickets purchased and medical cover before applying for the visa, but as I mentioned you should get it fairly quick. It may take a little longer over this period since there will be more applications this time of year. If your parents are over 75 and require the medical visit you will have to spark because this can take time and you may not get the visa in time.

Best of luck

Ps: here is the full link to applying for 676: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/how-to-apply.htm#d

• Like 1

Thanks a lot @Nane

Yes we realized that we were too late for the 679 visa and therefore opted for the 676. Also seeing they are only coming for 4weeks and might not be able to come again it seems better to go with the easier option.

We also asked a travel agent in SA to help with the paperwork. Hope all works out well.

:)

• Like 1