How to bag that IT job from SA

Smitte

My husband is in IT, a programmer and he could not get a position from SA. He is well qualified and has a good CV but had to come out to Melbourne to find a position. We have another friend also in IT who is about to fly to Melbourne for the third time in four months to hopefully go for a third and final interview. Even though it was a third interview the company was not willing to do a Skype interview and wanted to see him.

Both my wife (IT Project Manager, Software) and myself (BA & .Net Developer) got employed while still in SA.

We had PR, which really helped, and were basically ready to move anywhere. Thus we are in Darwin, NT.

We got in contract with a recruitment agent via LinkedIn, who got both of us employment at the same company. We went where the work was, and we're glad we did. Darwin has an awesome feel about it and the people here are stunning.

It took about four years of trying. People only started looking seriously at our CVs after we got PR, which was in May 2012.

• Like 1

Robbie_P got one, but in my time on the forum, they are few and far between. Depends what you do in IT, how specialized it is and how many of you there are in your field.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV developer here, i got a job from SA and fully covered 457 + relocation, depends on the type of IT I think, what area of IT?

4,681 jobs containing oracle in Australia

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again&Keywords=oracle&nation=3000

I would start by refining that list down to a more manageable size, try and look for the bits of his job that not many others will be able to do, then focus on selling those points to the companies

Also apply for jobs that don't specifically say 457 and specify in your application mail that although you are out of country you think your sill set may justify sourcing you internationally and apply anyway, if he has a really difficult to find skillset getting international sponsorship will be easy, the more people in the field the harder it will become and the more applications you will need to do

• 1 year later...

Am also in the same bout, I just got a 190 approved for SA but only found on job online. I did apply for it and the job agent called me via skype, my cv was submitted and awaiting response form the employer. s

There are contradicting issues regarding skipping state b4 the "mandatory" 2 yr period. The visa condition says "NIL" but some people say u might encounter issues at the time of citizenship filing

Hi Smitte

Just out of curiosity, I see your 175 was granted in 2008, did you get a return resident visa?

Hey!

Bit of a thread hijack here but curious on the salary offerings for programmers? Don't need to know an exact figure, just curious if they are close to the median suggested by sites like payscale? :)

By the time I want to go, I'll hopefully be looking at Senior Java Developer positions :)

EDIT: Have looked at the job websites but have found them to be a lil' broad with their salary ranges >.<

Edited by dowsieboi

Have a look on www.seek.com for a better idea of job pay ranges but they are really varied

just be aware that you may find it really hard to get a senior job unless you have a scarce high demand job, and you might need change your specialization a bit.

We have a friend who recently got a job as a java developer here, he took a few steps back and will be getting training to change his specialization to meet the requirements of the company, took him 4 or 5 months, i think it was, to get a job since landing, but a couple of years should see him back up there.

Im not a java expert (Microsoft Developer FTW) but he specialized in back-end java if that gives you an idea of what he does.

Simplest test is to apply for jobs from RSA, if you get lots of calls back you are good and will be able to walk into a senior post, if not prepare yourself and your finances for getting into the market here and getting back up to senior level.

Edited by Nev

I know a friend who got one on a 457 in Melbourne withint 3 weeks or trying. I have very similar skills, same format CV, I tried after him and after a year of trying and multiple interviews, none. Most applications without any response.

I've been told and I've made many connections through this however and it's easier when you are actually in Australia and / or have PR.

Hence I'm on my journey now.

Yep, you want to come over regardless, fantastic country and well worth the expense of a bit of a step back in your career.

It is definitely easier to get a job once you have PR

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys. Im asking the same question. My husband is an Network System Engineer. We are starting our assesments, IELTS and Visa application in January. Some of our friends living in Aus, recommended that we should start seeking employment or obtain a job offer. This will make our chances better, but most places will not even look at your CV if you do not have a valid visa. What is our chances of getting a job in the IT Networking field?

Can anyone please give me some info?

Network System Engineer is a pretty generic title, that means there will be a lot of locals calling themselves the same thing and locals will be given preference, followed by people with local experience when you are here with PR, try and find something that makes his skillset unique.

Im making this stuff up to give you an example:

Network System Engineer with experience in datacenters and SQL servers, also worked with SAP, Dynamics CRM & Dynamicvs NAV......etc.

You are looking for the big expensive programs that will give him the edge over the other who don't have it, something that puts him in the high skill high demand category, to offset the fact that the company cannot check up on your skills & experience in Au.

• Like 1

This is just my take on the matter...

We both got jobs after we had our PR

We both took a few steps down from team leadership positions to being a normal team member or resource at first.

A year later, and we are both slowly moving into some form of leadership role with resources reporting to us. And with that, I mean that we are both still considered resources ourselves and we still earn the same but we are carrying more responsibility.

Most companies want immediate starts and do not want the hassle, or legal requirements, of arranging the visa. It is easier and cheaper to off-shore to low cost locations.

Companies like using contractors to do the actual work, cause it is easier to get a lot of resources when they need them and scale back when they don't.

It also means that they are reporting the expense as a direct cost to the project instead of salary overhead.

Probably half of our staff are contractors. The key resources are constantly asked to go permanent rather than contract, as the company need them for a longer time period and it will be cheaper to the company to have them as permanent staff and retrench them later. I'm permanent and I know for a fact that I'm earning much less than the contractors that we employ.

Taking short term contracts is not all that bad, you get wider experience, you build networks, you earn a bit more to average out the time you sit at home looking for next contract, you get to sit at home and take a break between contracts.

Permanent does not mean job safety. I have seen various permanent staff being retrenched while we are employing new contractors for similar roles but on different projects.

I'm permanent and I know for a fact that I'm earning much less than the contractors that we employ.

I can confirm that, from my experience contractors earn 20-30% more than permanent employees. It is a significant amount on a $100k.

• 4 months later...

How did you go about getting your PR? A lot of the posts sound like you get PR before you go to Aus?