PGCE qualifications

tracy5587

Hi everyone

I've run into a bit of a problem trying to get my qualifications assessed by AITSL. I have a postgraduate certificate in education from UNISA. They approve of the qualification but because I had experience before I started my PGCE I was exempted from the teaching practicals and AITSL wants me to have physically done them. The lady who I spoke to said that a few teachers in the same situation as me had applied and were turned down.

I'm curious to know if any of those people are here and what they did about this situation?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eager2go

Hi Rookie

I completed my PGCE in 2007 and was also exempted from my teaching prays due to prior experience. My agent said that it would prove problematic, so I contacted the head of the faculty of Education at UNISA who drafted a letter explaining why UNISA exempted me. This letter proved acceptable because my skills assessment was approved and we now have a PR visa. We are leaving for Brisbane in December.

I am sure that UNISA staff are used to writing these letters.

Good luck

Eager2go

Hi

Thanks so much for your post. It's good to know there could be a solution to all of this!

What year did you apply? AITSL says their rules change all the time so I'm hoping that this letter would still be acceptable under their current rules.

Can I also ask who exactly you spoke to at the College of Education and what exactly the letter said? I have spoken to UNISA and they seem a little dumbfounded by the whole idea that my exemptions won't be accepted. Perhaps I just haven't spoken to the right person yet. The only thing they've been able to offer me is cancelling the exemptions and doing the pracs next year which will basically delay everything by 2 years.

Any more info you have will be useful!

Thank you!

Guest Eager2go

Hi

Sorry that I have not responded sooner. My letter from UNISA was dated 9 February 2011, and the professor was Prof JM Dreyer, the Practical Teaching Coordinator.

Does this help?

Had the same problem registering at the Teachers Board of South Australia. No practical experience due to exemption. A letter from Tukkies (Department of Education) fixed the problem, but it nearly took a year.

Hi

Just to add my 2c worth.

I was in a similar situation with AITSL (UNISA PGCE and had to prove the 10 weeks prac). I got a letter from Prof Dreyer (as mentioned above) and it was all sorted. The next obsatcle will be getting registered.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi, very frustrating dealing with UNISA...i did my PGCE with UCT and was sorted within a few days from really nice lady. unfortunately it took months to get through to unisa (did my ACE with them)...finally decided to dial all the numbers in the education faculty and the pleaded my case. had drafted a letter that i emailed and it finally got through to the right person.

SUGGESTION, get several (like 3 or 4) original copies sent to you (they need to be originals) and then you have back up as it's a huge stress to get them again.

great to have contact at unisa now, thanks guys!

Thanks for all the help guys. Just to let you know, I got hold of Prof Dreyer by email. He replied back with the letter the next day and I got the original in the post a few days later. Nowhere near as much admin as I thought!