Advice Please..

NAN

Hi, everyone!!

I recently discovered your forum and noticed how helpful everyone is, and decided maybe I should give it a go so this will be my first post...

After a few years of deliberating, my husband and I have decided to make the huge leap and move to Australia. Unfortunately we do not have any qualifications although we have loads of experience. And since the new skills list came out, my husband’s line of work, which is IT, is not even on the list anymore.

As a last resort we have decided to apply for a student visa, my husband decided to change his line of work completely as IT is no longer a need in the market. He will be writing his IELTS English test next week and I trust he will pass. Then as I understand the procedure, when we receive the IELTS results he has to apply at the college / university and only if they provide him with an acceptance letter can we proceed in applying for the student visa.

We already have a support system in Brisbane Australia, as my mother has been a resident there for approximately 5 years. So my mother would sponsor us and help financially and with a place to stay ext.

However when applying for the student visa they want conformation that we have enough funds for rent, food, studies and so on, but there is no information on what to do if we already have a support system. And it seems that we are only aloud to work 20 hours per week on a student visa even if I am not the one doing the studying, I am also only aloud to work 20 hours per week which is a bit concerning.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanx!!

Yes you are correct with what you are saying, the work hours are 20 hours for you as well. I would suggest that you read through the DIAC website regarding the student visa and clearly understand the terms and conditions associated with the VISA.

I would say you will most likely find it hard to secure a good or meaingful job, given that you can only work 20 hours a week.

With regards to sponsorship, I not aware that your mother may be able to do this, there is a min amount of money you need to provide for both of you AUD 25,000, however they can ask you demonstrate that you have more money. Return airfares, also keep in mind that the visa is issued for the duration of the studies.

Also keep in mind that there may be some limitation to counting the time you spend on a student visa towards PR or RRV.

All the best with your adventure.

Thank you guys!!

I will have a look at the DIAC website, and find out about all the in's and out's of a student visa...

Do anybody know of a trustworthy agent in Pretoria? It seems that they are all situated in Johanneburg....

We have a friend who did that route 4.5 years ago. To add insult they had 2 kiddos and his wife suffers grand mal epileptic seizures. It's hard and there are loads of sacrifices but it can be done. He studied to be a refridgeration engineer and because he was an international student his studies were fast tracked. He was lucky in that he managed to secure a temp job with a company in aircon and refridgeration so worked his 20 hours a week wtih them. His wife did a few odd jobs but was not able to get much and they didn't treat her well. That in addition to her epilepsy forced her to stay at home. The additional issues with being on a student visa especially if you have school going kids is that you have to pay in full for their schooling (at least in Melbourne where they are). This cost them around 7000 dollars a year. They also had a support system in her brother that was PR there.

Not trying to put you off, just to make you aware it is VERY expensive to go that route. IMO you need to have at least 150 000 dollars behind you I think before you even consider it (unless you are just the 2 of you and then less would be ok) They went through every last little bit of their savings and were worried they were not going to make the 2 years it took him to study. 4.5 years down the line they are just starting to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

What job does your hubby do in IT. Can he not wangle it for one of the IT jobs listed as there are definitely still ANZCO codes in IT? I know you say you don't have experiance but what about an RPL?

FWIW you don't need to visit a good agent necessarily. We did ours all through migrate2oz and I never met either of the guys until I went to a seminar. They did everythig via scanned docs (colour) or if we needed to have originals they sent a courier to collect. Cost a bit more but was not excessive.

Thanks for the advice Miraclebabycaw

Luckily it is just the two of us, no kids yet..

The only reason we are going the student vise route is because I really do not see another way for us to obtain visas, I checked the ANZCO codes and there is nothing on the list for a Hardware technician, which would have helped if we went the RPL route. He started as a hardware technician and from there he was promoted to manager, then procurement then logistics for a big contract, all basically in the same company.

I have a few years experience as a medical receptionist and as a call centre operator.

Baie sterkte, dit is verseker 'n goeie skuif!! Hou ons op hoogte wat gebeur!!

What about possibly studying something on that side to get you onto the shortage list?

Possibly go to seek.com.au and do a search for 457 or sponsor

That will give you a list of all the companies that are willing to sponsor visa's (My wife and i are here on a 457)

I have IM'd you the guys email address in Oz that went this route. I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer any questions around it. Just tell him Shona gave you his email address..I will email him as well to let him know to expect your mail.

Good luck

I am in Melbourne and my son's school fees have been $240 per year for the last three years now. You don't have to send your children to a private school especially if you don't have a lot of money. Just saying.

Hi Tilla...What Visa are you on though? My friends kids definitely did not go to a private school. They went to public but because he was on a study visa he could not get assisted schooling (which is what other visa holders still qualify for), and had to pay a full price school fee. It's the same in some of the other states on a 457, you do not get the lower fees but have to pay the full school fees.

Thanx for the wonderfull advice guys!! I will definitely look into every single piece of advice I get from you guys but one way or antoher I will find a way!!!

Hi guys!!

After some deliberation and advice from all of you, we decided to look into the process of applying for a family sponsored visa (489) and leave the student visa option as a last resort.

So I have started a new topic (relating to the 489 visa) and if you guys are a bit bored, have look cause any input would be appreciated...

Hi, everyone!!

I recently discovered your forum and noticed how helpful everyone is, and decided maybe I should give it a go so this will be my first post...

After a few years of deliberating, my husband and I have decided to make the huge leap and move to Australia. Unfortunately we do not have any qualifications although we have loads of experience. And since the new skills list came out, my husband’s line of work, which is IT, is not even on the list anymore.

As a last resort we have decided to apply for a student visa, my husband decided to change his line of work completely as IT is no longer a need in the market. He will be writing his IELTS English test next week and I trust he will pass. Then as I understand the procedure, when we receive the IELTS results he has to apply at the college / university and only if they provide him with an acceptance letter can we proceed in applying for the student visa.

We already have a support system in Brisbane Australia, as my mother has been a resident there for approximately 5 years. So my mother would sponsor us and help financially and with a place to stay ext.

However when applying for the student visa they want conformation that we have enough funds for rent, food, studies and so on, but there is no information on what to do if we already have a support system. And it seems that we are only aloud to work 20 hours per week on a student visa even if I am not the one doing the studying, I am also only aloud to work 20 hours per week which is a bit concerning.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanx!!

Hi Nan

Welcome to the forum!

We also have the problem of no formal qualification but heaps of experience. With the new Skillselect it seems like I can qualify as an Office Manager under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187). With this visa it seems that you do not need a skills assesment. You need to write IELTS an lodge a EOI and wait for an approved employer who will nominate you for a position in their business in regional Australia.

I hope this process works for us because I have not completed our EOI yet, because we still have to write our IELTS. So I am hoping for no more obsticals when completing our EOI . . .

Hope this info helps . . .

Regards

Out of interest, in regional/rural Australia, do you know where you would like to go ?

Out of interest, in regional/rural Australia, do you know where you would like to go ?

Hi Nicse

According to Skillselect to live and work in regional Australia, meaning not in the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne. So the options are vast. I do not realy mind, but I would prefer WA (Perth/Mandurah or surroundings etc) SA (Adelaide or surroundings) . . .

Guess I would have to wait and see from where my employer nomination would come from . . .

The reason why I asked was there are some challenges in certain regional parts of Australia, although rural living can be very rewarding, Australia’s a very big place and rural can also mean isolated.

Some issues that are known to occur in some rural parts of Australia :

• Xenophobia
  • Isolation
  • Limited job opportunities
  • May be very far away from cities and major centre’s increasing cost of travel
  • Education in some regional areas may not be good or is very limited, the quality of the schooling can be poor, so you may have additional cost to send children to boarding school far away from home.
  • Some regional areas suffer with high unemployment, this adds additional social challenges.
  • Low cost living also means lower incomes.
  • Access to medical care may not be as good as what for instance one get in Melbourne, Sydney etc.

So some examples of challenges you could face, say your other half got very ill, he may have to be flown out from where he is to a place with better medical facilities. This may be 100’s of KM for your to travel to go see him, he could die before you got there or cost to prohibit you from getting to him.

Small town living, rumours etc can fly around and you know how people are, you could find yourself in an awkward position and unlike how things are now, you can’t just pack up and hit the road.

Be certain you understand the regional/rural area you are going to go to, because your visa may force you to stay in those areas for a period of time and I know of some people who have tried this, end up either leaving Australia disappointed because it was not what they wanted, 2nd got divorced….

Keep in mind Australia is strict, if you have a regional visa with say a 4 year required to work in this area, then you have to prove you are sticking to your conditions, otherwise they may cancel the visa and cheers get out of Oz.

Good luck with your journey.

Thank you very much for your advice - I really do appreciate it! When I do get nominated by an employer I will do intense research on the region before accepting which I have 6 months to do. . . I would prefer not to relocate to an isolated rural area. I will be required to work for 2 years for this employer which I think is not too long to stick out - but still, 2 years could seem like eternity if you are not happy . . .

Thank you very much for your advice - I really do appreciate it! When I do get nominated by an employer I will do intense research on the region before accepting which I have 6 months to do. . . I would prefer not to relocate to an isolated rural area. I will be required to work for 2 years for this employer which I think is not too long to stick out - but still, 2 years could seem like eternity if you are not happy . . .

The alternative is to stick around in South Africa for the rest of your lives . . . . . not the best option, some would say.

I admire your tenacity in getting into Australia, and I reckon someone with the determination and grit to hang in there, even if things get tough, is more likely to make it in a country town than someone soft from the "big smoke".

Personally, I like country people in Australia. Like as has been said, you can't keep too much of your lives a big secret in a country town, but once you stay there for a while and the locals begin to accept you, you'll find they are the most generous, kindest, most supportive people you can have rally around you in times of crisis.

If your old man did have an accident and was on death's door, someone in the country town would bundle him into their car and drive all thro the night to get him to hospital, while the rest of the town looked after your kids and your immediate needs.

With folk like that alongside you, don't be too quick to dismiss them out of hand.

I'm proud of what I see ordinary, everyday Australians doing for each other.

If you don't believe me, ask anyone here living in Brisbane what their fellow Aussies were like in the floods that devastated the city last year.

Bob thank you for sharing your wisdom . . . I like reading your posts and take every word you say at heart! I am a country girl and do not like the heart beat of the "big smoke" . . .

I would not mind relocating to a country town - but would prefer to start off with say the "small smoke" like Perth and surroundings. Once settled and used to the Ozzie style we could always move to a nice ol country town . . . ;)

Regarding the Gold Coast not being considered regional Australia, do your homework! It is specifically by postal code and I know that there are areas on the Gold Coast that do in fact fall under regional. Good luck!

And we live in regional Australia and love it here, personally would not enjoy living on the Gold Coast!

If your old man did have an accident and was on death's door, someone in the country town would bundle him into their car and drive all thro the night to get him to hospital, while the rest of the town looked after your kids and your immediate needs.

This man speaks the truth.

It's a huge shock coming to Australia and experiencing this first hand. South Africans living in RSA are EXTREMELY selfish and self centred and RUDE and MEAN. It's the endless hands reaching through car windows to try sell you some crap or beg from you, it's the endless begging in car parking lots, it's how we're all getting poorer day in and day out that turns you into a selfish, mean person. Not to mention the barricading yourself into your own home and then having the intercom at the door ring with more begging. It just doesn't stop, so we adapt by becoming selfish and we cut ourselves off from the community. Even if you do help, it's like farting against thunder.

On the other hand the Aussies are more on the kind and community side. It's small things but for people who haven't experienced it, it's a big deal.

When I was in Perth I was astounded that strangers on the beach actually chatted and joked a little bit with our group. As Saffas, our first reaction as to quietly question what his motive was... what did he want. Sad, isn't it?

• Like 1