High schools in Brisbane

squares

This is a mail I recieived written by a teacher in Brisbane is seemed too important not to shear on the forum.

I believe strongly that a good student with supportive parents can succeed at just about any school, even the ones I personally wouldn’t go anywhere near. So in some ways, where they live will have a big impact. A school that is convenient to where they live has big advantages.

If they were going to be out the growth corridor of Moreton Shire like your colleague at Morayfield then there are schools that are new and seem to be pretty well resourced. Schools like Narangba Valley State High and North Lakes College seem to be positive, but that’s only based on subjective, anecdotal evidence. Some of the older ones, whilst I keep in mind what I said in my first statement, they tend to be more tired, less maintained and sometimes stretched for resources. These include Morayfield, Dakabin, Caboolture and Tullawong.

There are also 2 excellent Catholic Education schools out at Burpengary and Caboolture, St Eugene (www.steugene.qld.edu.au) and St Columban’s (www.stc.qld.edu.au). Whilst Cath Ed schools are fee paying, they are much more affordable than the independent schools and definitely worth a look.

If either your colleague or their friends in Sth Africa use an iPhone, there is a pretty handy app for looking at Queensland State Schools. They might like to search through themselves.

http://deta.qld.gov.au/about/apps/education/qld-schools.html

Failing that, I’ve listed the schools on the northside of Brisbane, or close to town with websites so they can search through. I’ve put this down the bottom of this message.

In terms of recommendations, if dad is going to be working at Sth Brisbane and they think they’re likely to use public transport, then they might consider Brisbane State High School. A very diverse school, and quite a big one, but has a strong academic reputation and also has some niche programs like music that they do quite well in. They were the first State school in Queensland and therefore get strong support from the department. Also economies of scale mean they can resource programs better than most. It does help that I don’t think they struggle for enrolments, meaning they have fairly steady budgets, staffing levels etc. It is different from the other State schools in that the requirement for being in the geographic catchment doesn’t apply as much and instead students need to demonstrate their abilities to enter. If their daughter is into sport, they tend to much stronger in sport than most state schools. However, if there is a particular sport she wants to excel in, there are some state schools that stand out with Schools of Excellence programs in some areas, e.g. volleyball at Craigslea. There are others.

http://www.brisbaneshs.eq.edu.au/

A fairly recent strategy by the government has been to develop three flagship schools they call the Queensland Academies. These schools are meant to be for excellent students who want to focus on particular areas. They operate under the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum. Here in Australia and particularly in Brisbane I think the jury is still out as to whether IB is any better than the curriculum taught at a well resourced regular school. Whatever stats there are would tend to be skewed by the calibre of student they are enrolling to begin with and that they are academically selective. But, having said that, they are definitely worth a look, because if they suit then they could definitely be worthwhile. I’m not sure though whether they are as ‘free’ as the ‘free’ education provided at other state schools.

There are three Queensland Academies.

Queensland Academy for Science, Mathematics and Technology allows high achieving students to develop their skills through leading-edge curriculum and links with The University of Queensland. It is situated at Bywong Street, Toowong. www.qasmt.eq.edu.au

Queensland Academy for Creative Industries has been developed in partnership with the Queensland University of Technology (QUT) for students wishing to pursue a career in Design and Technology, Media, Film, Music, Theatre Arts, Visual Arts, or one of the emerging creative professions in Business or Industry. It is located at 61 Musk Avenue, Kelvin Grove (in the Kelvin Grove Urban Village). http://qaci.eq.edu.au

Queensland Academy for Health Sciences is partnered with Griffith University. It provides students with opportunities to pursue clinical professions including medicine, dentistry, physiotherapy, optometry, as well as careers in public health, education and medical research. It is located at Edmund Rice Drive at Southport on the Gold Coast. http://qahs.eq.edu.au

School

Internet Site

Albany Creek State High School

www.albacreeshs.eq.edu.au

Aspley State High School

www.aspleyshs.eq.edu.au

Aviation High

www.aviationhigh.eq.edu.au

Balmoral State High School

www.balmoralshs.eq.edu.au

Bracken Ridge State High School

www.bracridgshs.eq.edu.au

Bremer State High School

www.bremershs.eq.edu.au

Brisbane Bayside State College

www.brisbanebaysidesc.eq.edu.au

Brisbane State High School

www.brisbaneshs.eq.edu.au

Brisbane Youth Education and Training Centre

www.brisbaneyoutheu.eq.edu.au

Bundamba State Secondary College

www.bundambassc.eq.edu.au

Calamvale Community College

www.calamvalecomcoll.eq.edu.au

Cavendish Road State High School

www.cavroadshs.eq.edu.au

Centenary State High School

www.centenaryshs.eq.edu.au

Coorparoo Secondary College

www.coorparoosecondarycollege.eq.edu.au

Corinda State High School

www.corindashs.eq.edu.au

Craigslea State High School

www.craigsleshs.eq.edu.au

Earnshaw State College

www.earnshawsc.eq.edu.au

Everton Park State High School

www.evertonparkshs.eq.edu.au

Ferny Grove State High School

www.fernygroveshs.eq.edu.au

Forest Lake State High School

www.forestlakeshs.eq.edu.au

Glenala State High School

www.glenalashs.eq.edu.au

Holland Park State High School

www.hollparkshs.eq.edu.au

Indooroopilly State High School

www.indoorooshs.eq.edu.au

Ipswich State High School

www.ipswichshs.eq.edu.au

Kedron State High School

www.kedronshs.eq.edu.au

Kelvin Grove State College

www.kelvingrovesc.eq.edu.au

Kenmore State High School

www.kenmoreshs.eq.edu.au

Lowood State High School

www.lowoodshs.eq.edu.au

MacGregor State High School

www.macgregorshs.eq.edu.au

Mansfield State High School

www.mansfieldshs.eq.edu.au

Milpera State High School

www.milperashs.eq.edu.au

Mitchelton State High School

www.mitcheltonshs.eq.edu.au

Mount Gravatt State High School

www.mtgravattshs.eq.edu.au

Nyanda State High School

www.nyandashs.eq.edu.au

Queensland Academy for Creative Industries

www.qaci.eq.edu.au

Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology

www.qasmt.eq.edu.au

Redbank Plains State High School

www.redbplaishs.eq.edu.au

Rochedale State High School

www.rochedaleshs.eq.edu.au

Rosewood State High School

www.rosewoodshs.eq.edu.au

Runcorn State High School

www.runcornshs.eq.edu.au

Sandgate District State High School

www.sanddistshs.eq.edu.au

Springfield Central State High School

www.springfieldcentralshs.eq.edu.au

Stretton State College

www.strettonsc.eq.edu.au

Sunnybank State High School

www.sunnybanshs.eq.edu.au

The Gap State High School

www.thegapshs.eq.edu.au

Wavell State High School

www.wavellshs.eq.edu.au

Whites Hill State College

www.whiteshillsc.eq.edu.au

Woodcrest State College

www.woodcrestsc.eq.edu.au

Wynnum State High School

www.wynnumshs.eq.edu.au

Yeronga State High School

www.yerongashs.eq.edu.au

Very good of you to share it. An excellent post.

I might just add that while Brisbane State High takes entry from all over based on performance/entrance exams a house in the catchment in highly prized by some as a way to get their child entry. Brisbane State High is the only state high school that plays sport in the independent schools sporting association (GPS), maintains its own rowing sheds etc etc - in some ways is regarded as a state school in the private system.