Converting International Drivers Licence

Loutjie

Hi guys

I've searched some of the post on the forum regarding drivers licence and the fact that you can drive in Australia for 3 months or so on your South African drivers licence and that you don't need an International drivers licence.

This is not my question.

I have friend in Sydney who travelled the globe and met a Ausie girl, hooked up and managed to get a Defacto visa and returned with her to Sydney. I asked him the other day how the drivers test went and he replied that he didn't do a drivers test he just converted his international drivers licence into a Sydney drivers licence.

Now my question is, and I would like to find this out from somebody who has done this (Not that I don't believe my friend :whome: ) but is it possible to convert an international drivers licence which is easy obtainable into an Australian drivers licence particularly Sydney.

If so...why doesn't everybody do it?

I mean...why would you go through the whole process of being tested etc. if you can easily get an international drivers licence and just convert it. :huh:

If someone can give me a link to a post were this might have been discussed I would be grateful! :cowboy:

Actually found this link International drivers

It does not really answer the question regarding an international drivers licence and whether you are exempted from the tests if you present one.

Every international driver's license is "backed up" by a license of a country.

Depending on which country will determine what requirements are required to convert your license. (and it may vary from state to state. For instance NZ licenses require one to pass the learners multiple choice test (in Qld) to convert to a full QLD license.

Maybe your friend has a UK license?

Maybe your friend has a UK license?

That might be possible. I'll ask him a bit more about this.

Also look at the vehicle licencing place that you would go to.

VICRoads had a big section on international licences.

All I can tell you is what we learned from our experiences. We went through all the trouble to obtain international drivers licences before leaving South Africa. Got here, went to the RTA and were told that our international drivers licence doesn't count and cannot be converted and that we would have to take on the process of obtaining a NSW driver's licence like many South African before us - the hard way. In the end, the money we spent on obtaining the international licence was an absolute waste - wish someone would have told me that before I've done it but hey, you live and learn...

Yup we drove on our RSA licenses while we could and when both expired we just wrote learners and then did the test. It's great to have an Ozzie license as it serves basically as your proof of ID here

Thanks guys.

This really helps clear up some things.

I guess my friend converted the international drivers license to a UK one and that's how he was able to exempt the exams.

So...if you don't want to do the exams... get an international drivers license go to the UK convert it there. Then fly to Aus :ilikeit:

Hi Loutjie

Your mate would have taken his SA licence to the UK and because he was resident there was able to convert it.

He would have surrendered his SA licence to the UK authorities and they would have sent him a UK one.

You have to live in the UK to convert a SA licence and I am not sure for how much longer they will allow this.

This whole process has nothing to do with international drivers licences.

An international drivers licence is simply a temporary document proving in multiple languages that you do in fact hold a valid licence.

So...if you don't want to do the exams... get an international drivers license go to the UK convert it there. Then fly to Aus :ilikeit:

Gonna cost you a bit though...

Archived