Travel Insurance

Lynnie

Hi All,

A while ago I replied to a post stating that we got travel insurance cover with Nomads even though we are on a 457 visa. I need to correct this, because they do not provide cover if you are not a permanent resident/citizen of Australia.

After a lengthy search we got travel insurance with Chartis in South Africa. They have an inbound policy if you are visiting SA. Our premium for 2 weeks is around R600 per person.

Have a good day :ilikeit:

Most of the insurance companies have no restrictions to permant residence, you you just need to be a resident in Australia.

At the end of the day you pay for what you get. The more well know companies ie Covermore, QBE , HBF etc will all offer travel insurance to residents of Australia even if you are here on a 457.

• 8 months later...

After a lengthy search we got travel insurance with Chartis in South Africa. They have an inbound policy if you are visiting SA. Our premium for 2 weeks is around R600 per person.

I tried looking for this but cannot find anything on the Chartis website (https://www.travelguardinsurance.co.za). Do you know how else to get this insurance?

Thanks.

Do you mean living in Aus but travelling elsewhere? Medibank does travel insurance and if you are already with them for health insurance you get a 10% discount on travel insurance

• 2 weeks later...

I used Medibank travel insurance twice and will use them again this year haven't needed to use it yet so I can't give feedback about their service once you need to claim. I shopped around and I can't get a cheaper price anywhere else..

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Lynnie - cheapest cover out of 6. And cover mostly everything.

• 1 year later...

My husband (73yrs) and myself (55yrs) are travelling on a travel visa to Aus and will not return once our 143 visa has been processed and approved later this year. I am battling to get travel/medical insurance for us from date of departure (April 2014) till our visa is issued. Can anyone recommend a company that can assist. Thanks

Lynnw, when my mom came to visit recently we bought insurance online through sta travel which I believe falls under Allianz Global. It was pretty good cover for a good price. If you purchase your tickets on your credit card you will hopefully get some sort of cover there too....

Thanks Eva. We did not purchase on the credit card as we are cancelling the credit cards before we leave SA. We are not returning to SA as we will stay in AUS (with multiple entries) until our permanent visa (from contributory parent visa) comes through later in the year.

Hi

I got travel insurance with TIC on one way tickets from JHB to Sydney. they have a policy for immigration. I have copied their details below. Hope it helps. They are underwritten by Sanlam

Jesse G. Moono

Help Desk Consultant

jessem@tic.co.za,

Tel: +27 11 521 4000

Fax: + 27 11 521 4402

2nd Floor, 288 Kent Avenue, Randburg | P. O. Box 3337, Cramerview, 2060

Travel Insurance Consultants | FSP 3416

Thanks Eva. We did not purchase on the credit card as we are cancelling the credit cards before we leave SA. We are not returning to SA as we will stay in AUS (with multiple entries) until our permanent visa (from contributory parent visa) comes through later in the year.

The insurance we got my mom is specifically for non-residents in Australia and she was covered when she went to New Zealand and then back to Australia etc... There were a number of options to choose from and I am sure you will find one that works for you. Personally I would rather be dealing with an Australian company if you are going to be here than a South African one... just my opinion.

Hi Eva Thanks for the info. We have found a company (AIG) to cover us for 30 days and then we will apply for further insurance once we are in Australia. Izzy thanks but they will not insure for over 69 years.

• 7 months later...

Good day everyone,

I have a question for you all.

My wife and daughter landed in Perth in March this year and will be returning to RSA in November for the December holidays. When they left RSA in March we took them off our medical aid cover and now i am having difficulty finding short term medical aid cover for their stay in RSA from Nov to January 2015.

Any ideas or suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks

Eto