Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • RSA Location:Alberton
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

I was just wondering how this works - council pick up days
i read on one of the other topics that you can find a lot of stuff on the road on these days
My cousin in Perth also told me about his, he found a bicycle for his son and dining room table like this
does this also happen in Canberra?:huh:

#2 rozellem

rozellem

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • Landed:Nov 2008
  • RSA Location:Somerset West

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

I was just wondering how this works - council pick up days
i read on one of the other topics that you can find a lot of stuff on the road on these days
My cousin in Perth also told me about his, he found a bicycle for his son and dining room table like this
does this also happen in Canberra?:huh:

They do a their own version of it, called Second Hand Sundays. http://www.tams.act....ond-hand_sunday

Slightly different, but with the same result = free stuff. http://groups.freecy...rra/description

#3 Meintjies

Meintjies

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

They do a their own version of it, called Second Hand Sundays. http://www.tams.act....ond-hand_sunday

Slightly different, but with the same result = free stuff. http://groups.freecy...rra/description

Thanks, I will check it out!:ilikeit:

#4 deons1

deons1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • RSA Location:East Rand
  • Language:English/Afrikaans

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

Ahh I remember my first item I picked up from the pavement like it was yesterday. I remember turning bright red as I picked up a slightly used double pram for a outing to the zoo with the kids. I returned it to the pavement later that evening as I only needed it for one day. Subsequently I have help myself to a very useful sleeper couch in perfect nick and many body boards as the kids always seem to leave them behind somewhere. I have also help to give a young girl sharing a kayak with her sister her own one which I collected one morning. She was very appreciative. So if I was a young starter couple with limited cash flow I would have definitley been driving to the best suburbs on council clean-up days and collected all my required furniture untill I was in the position to buy what I wanted. The embarrassment is only experienced on you maiden collection :)

#5 Meintjies

Meintjies

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

Ahh I remember my first item I picked up from the pavement like it was yesterday. I remember turning bright red as I picked up a slightly used double pram for a outing to the zoo with the kids. I returned it to the pavement later that evening as I only needed it for one day. Subsequently I have help myself to a very useful sleeper couch in perfect nick and many body boards as the kids always seem to leave them behind somewhere. I have also help to give a young girl sharing a kayak with her sister her own one which I collected one morning. She was very appreciative. So if I was a young starter couple with limited cash flow I would have definitley been driving to the best suburbs on council clean-up days and collected all my required furniture untill I was in the position to buy what I wanted. The embarrassment is only experienced on you maiden collection :)

I was thinking the same thing, we are not use to that type of thing in South AFrica. Will have to get use to it. But I suppose when you share again, you feel better.... :rolleyes:

#6 AndreaL

AndreaL

Citizen

• Hosts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,011 posts
  • Interests:Cats, conservation, curry, conversation and countryside
  • Landed:Dec 2005
  • RSA Location:Middelburg, Klerksdorp, Standerton, Alberton, Namibia
  • Language:English

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

I wonder if the people who put out the pram, saw you take it and then return it the same day?

Can you imagine what they might have thought.:D
I miss kerb pick ups, we don't have them in Moranbah, we have to either take goods to the lifeline shop or the dump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users