Plumber looking to work in Australia

Chris-80

Hi all.

Thanks for a great forum. It really provides a lot of important information.

I am a qualified plumber in Pretoria and I’m thinking of moving my family to Aus for various reasons. I am married with a daughter (1) and a baby boy on the way. I’m looking to get in contact with other SA plumbers who made the move who could assist me in making a decision. Things I would like to know are:

What type of salaries does an average plumber earn and if it would be enough to support 2 adults and 2 children?

How hard/possible is it to get a sponsor in Australia?

Would I have to do a test in Aus to work there?

Is there any limitation on what work my wife can do?

I read that daycare is very expensive, can anybody give me an idea how much it would cost for two children?

What are the standard of the schools? (compared to SA)

I looked at the immigration web site and would have to go on a 175 or 176 visa, is that correct?

Hope somebody can help :ilikeit:

Thank

Chris

Welcome to the forum, hope that you get answers to most of your questions here.

What type of salaries does an average plumber earn and if it would be enough to support 2 adults and 2 children?

The answer is yes, however, I guess it would depend on where you work, salaries across Australia and across industries, can differ greatly.

Here is a link to advertised jobs http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange...earchFrom=quick

How hard/possible is it to get a sponsor in Australia?

Unitl you have Australian registration as a plumber, it may be a bit more difficult. Although, as plumbers are in short supply you may well find somebody that is willing to sponsor you and assist you to get your registration.

Would I have to do a test in Aus to work there?

I am not sure of the exact requirements to get registration, but you can check this link for Victoria http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/47-regi...--licensing.asp You will have to check in the state where you are going to live what their requirements are. Best is to google "plumber registration queensland" etc.

Is there any limitation on what work my wife can do?

No, none whatsoever.

I read that daycare is very expensive, can anybody give me an idea how much it would cost for two children?

Yes it is, usually around $50 per day, plus/minus, however if you have permanent residence, you do get assistance, I am not sure how much. Perhaps someone with kids can answer that for you.

What are the standard of the schools? (compared to SA)

Again, some schools are excellent, some not so great. A lot would depend on where you live and where they go to school. In general, however, I am told that the schools in Australia are great.

I looked at the immigration web site and would have to go on a 175 or 176 visa, is that correct?

For a permanent visa yes, if you get a sponsor you would come on a 457, however, if your sponsor is willing to wait a little longer then you could come on a 121 (I think that is the correct number) which is a permanent sponsored visa.

Hope that has helped you.

Chris if you would like to PM me your e-mail address I can ask a friend who moved here from RSA who is a plumber to answer your questions.

We are currently doing an owner build and I went looking for quotes in May and every plumber I spoke to was too busy to quote, they all had work booked for the rest of the year. I eventually got a plumber to quote because he was doing a big job for my employer but I had to assure him that the work would only be done in 2011. There must be heaps of work out there for plumbers.

You first should get your skills assesed in my opinion which ever route you take

As a tradesman you could get a job and without a recognised skill ( an Australian piece of paper that says what you are---

You will end up employed and paid as an apprentice. I have seen many that are left like this for years until they can no longer remain as a temp, then a mad rush to get a licence ensues. In the mean time the employer gets the use of a qualified plumber at a reduced rate :rolleyes:

For PR you will need skills assesement

From here http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf you will see plumnbers are on teh SKILLED OCCUPATION list at 60 points :ilikeit:

You will also see you need to contact TRA to get an assesment, unless you are in South Africa Sri lanka then you need VETASSES

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_aus...rade_skills.cfm

from the next page I copied http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_aus...fm#_2._What_are

Some of the benefits are:

•Successful applicants will have more certainty than they do now that they will be able to work in their nominated occupation upon arrival to Australia.

•Applicants in the licensed electrical and plumbing occupations will receive an outcome that will entitle them to a provisional licence which will allow them to work under supervision without having to undertake additional skills testing once they arrive in Australia.

•Applicants in non-licensed occupations will receive an Australian qualification that demonstrates they have the full range of skills of the trade.

•Unsuccessful applicants will be provided with a detailed assessment outcome. This will provide them with guidance on additional training and/or employment required to meet the standard.

I suggest you read this page as well http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/p/...ber-general.htm

With this done you will discover that it is a bit easier to get a job, and you only need to get a contractors licence to open your own business if that is your choice if you come over as PR. A company sponsoring you will also be obliged to pay full rate

You will also need IELTS tests Medicals

Salary

http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/trades/plumbing about $57 k pa butt from here

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Plumber/Hourly_Rate it seems that it includes some overtime

Hi all

Thanx for the advice. It is dearly appriciated. We have finally decided that we want to leave SA and go to Aus... :)

No for the hard part. We are in a bit of a financial mess and will have to work very hard to get through the whole process.

If anybody can give met a bit of advice:

How does go about your application if you have been self-employed, both my wife and I, for the last couple of years? We don't have a big formal business and not much in the line of financial records and so on...

Can anybody help me with a contact number for VETASSESS or TRA in Cape Town. Can't seem to find their number. I want to find out how much my trade assesment will be?

Will my wife also have to a IELTS test to find employment in Aus ?

Is it difficult to get State sponsorships(if at all posible)?

How much money (more or less) will be needed when we first come over?

We are considering that I must go over alone for a month or two to get a job and settle in before my wife and kids come over. Is that a wise decision or not?

Sorry, I know these questions are of things still far in the future, it's just stuff we wonder about...

Thank you for a great forum :)

Hi there :)

My Hubby is a diesel mach , his trade test cost R12000.00 yours will possibly be about the same , he had to do a skills assessmen first tho ..

As far as being in a financial mess is concerned , we have no money and no property to sell .. all we have done is just cut down our living standards , and saved like hell , and we are doing things one step at a time .... it is doable:)

Hi Mikimont

R12000.00 for his trade test? Was that for his local trade test or a trade test for Aus? Where did he do his skills assesment and how did work and what was the cost involved?

I already did my local trade test and only have to have my trade assesed, I hope, through vetassess or tra, still not sure where to contact them...

We are also doing it one thing at a time, as money becomes available. We have two business's to run and its hard to find time to get to everything. But I'm sure its going to be worth it.

Good luck...

From the Vetassess website

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_aus...ees_payment.cfm

I see there is no Capetown (in fact no South African contact for VETASSES) only Melbourne, but I know they send an assesor over to South Africa a few times a year to perform the practical and interview part after you pass the Evidence assesment and pay for part 3

Stages

1 Self assesment see the link here

2 $600 Evidence assesment

3 Technical interview $1400 or Interview practical $1500

As the IELTS requirements have changed I dont know whether your wife would need to do IELTS test but from what I have heard I think she would to migrate. Again I am not sure even after a quick check of immi.gov.au

Many migrants seem to come over as you suggest. Visa holder first then family follow. On PR visa there is a limit on time before you all must have validated your visa, but then could return.

Some have had someone stay behing to wrap up whislt other prepares landing form here. My wife did not want to come over unless we all came togehter. I think this is a very personal choice depending on visa issued and finances

Hi there

We are working through an agent , and the cost of the skills assessment is included in their fee, hubs did the trade test in cape town and thats for his OZ trade test .

Contact vetasses , they should be able to help you :thumbdown:

Archived