SA Braai tang

ronster

Great little device that, mine has been put to good use now that summer is here in Cape Town:)

Out of interest...do people ever make wood fires in Australia or is it only gas?

Out of interest...do people ever make wood fires in Australia or is it only gas?

Gas, charcoal, wood, or what ever takes your fancy. Its your personal choice, plus your states rules, time of the year, your location, fire bans, weather......

Interesting..

So what are the rules in NSW for starting a wood braai at your home?

Also, are there many people who actually use the 'traditional' wood braai in Australia?

Regards,

Robbie

WOuld like to know the same about Perth.

Have not seen any wood braais during my two weeks in Perth and we saw quite a few homes......

WOuld like to know the same about Perth.

Have not seen any wood braais during my two weeks in Perth and we saw quite a few homes......

Thats because most people here prefer the gas barbie. You can get wood/coal-type barbies and Webers etc at Bunnings.

I am fanatical about a GOOD braai at least once a week no matter the weather! My first braai was an old laundry sink and it worked for a little while but now i have upgrade to an old Weber that I bought off eBay and it is working a treat. The only issue I have come across is to find the right wood to use as there is no such thing as Rooikrans sold here in OZ. After many many months of trying different suppliers I have found some wood that burns similar but does not make the right coal so I have resorted to using a few 'heat beads' known as charcoal.

With regards to the making of fires. In Victoria you can make an open fire anytime on any day as long as there is not a total fire ban in place for that day and generally you wouldn't want to be outside during that time in any case. I have found a couple of links to the various state regulations.

NSW

QLD

WA

SA

VIC

If you want to know on the day if there is a fire ban or not you would either go to the local website for your area or 9 times out of 10 it will be all over the news so generally you would know well in advance if there is a fire ban or not.

Hope this helps a little!

Great information there Jonathan, thanks!

Robbie, Kit, Oryx - although there are fire ban days that you're not allowed to have an open fire - it really only comes down to a few days during summer when the conditions temparature are risky for bush fires. I've never really had a total fire ban day ruin our plans to braai because usually, when it's a total fire ban, it's so hot that you'd be crazy to be standing outside in front of a fire. :)

I tend to switch between the two – I bbq on gas when I want a “quick†braai, and I fire up the Weber with wood/coals when I want the “proper†experience…

Look on e bay under "BBQ Tongs"

I've just bought/ordered a pair :)

I Love having a braai on my balcony on my baby Weber. Only downfall is the glorious smoke that always seems to drift right down into the neighbours open windows. I have had a few confused looks from them and some "not so" friendly glances about it. I hope they will get used to it or maybe I should invite them over. Nothing smokes like Lamb Ribs on charcoal heat beads :)

Haha Jon, I actually saw pics on Facebook of your 'sink braai', what a lag.

To you guys having wood braai's, are you able to find a wood which matches rooikrans?

LOL Rob, a mans got to do what a mans go to do!

With regards to the wood. There is nothing like Rooikrans when it comes to a good braai! Most of the wood you get over here is intended for fire places and they are generally hardwood (eg Red Gum) and are split into massive pieces. I did ALOT of investigation into this and I mean ALOT. I went about finding out the density of the Rooikrans(Wattle) and then compared it to wood I could find locally. I found the closest match and tried it out but it does not create the same type of coals that Rooikrans does.

If you interested have a look at the link below. The wood that I found matched the closest was Messmate.

Firewood properties

Supplier in Victoria I have used

So yes you can pretty much say that I am a braai addict! Some call me crazy but I call myself South African!

Jonathan – I though I was into my braaing, but it seems that you are the True Braai Jedi Master himself. :wub:

My hubby will be very, very happy to hear that he will be able to braai using wood!! :wub:

Everytime we braai at home (and it has been a lot lately, since summer has arrived in Cape Town) he asks me about this, so now I will have some good news for him!! :D

Got my 44 gallon half drum with rooster. Only way to really braai.

Thanks Hansa!! Its in my blood, sure you know what I mean!

I just feel that nothing tastes anything remotely similar to good old fashioned wood braai, you cannot beat the taste of the meat that comes off a wood braai!

Jip, nothing replaces a lekker braai... and luckely we dont have to! We mosty use gas around home, but we try to get out camping often and then it is all out bond fire, potjie kos, potbrood and wood braai... Search and I went 4 wheel driving and camping the other day and counted 24hours in front of the camp fire in 3 nights :santa:

Now on those Braai tange... Not really one of my favorite accessories.. even back in SA I had a few and never liked them... This is what I need to braai. (and I braai allot :santa: )

tongs.jpg

leatherman-wave-02-800x600.jpg

Those BBQ tongs are only $10!

Ordered mine today.

Still waiting for them to acknowledge that I’ve paid for it… and to post it out… Have you heard anything from them? :santa: Maybe they're on Holiday. :santa:

Edit: Hold that though - it's just been marked as "posted"...

This is what I need to braai. (and I braai allot :santa: )

tongs.jpg

I must admit, I agree – those tongs you posted are my favourite as well. Will see how these “SA ones†compare when I receive them.

leatherman-wave-02-800x600.jpg

Maybe I am asking a chick question here but, where in the braai process do you use the Leatherman, Sysie? Must say we use the same "knyp tang" as you and prefer it.

Maybe I am asking a chick question here but, where in the braai process do you use the Leatherman, Sysie? Must say we use the same "knyp tang" as you and prefer it.

You use the blade (knife part) to cut the boere wors into lekker "bun size" portions, or to check the T-bone, or chicken breast, but most importantly you use the blade for that very important "proe stukkie" around the braai. Then the bottle opener is for opening a beer.. You use the "file" part to test the potatoes in foil in the fire..( you dont want something too sharp or you are getting underdone potatoes). The pliers are for grabbing the rooster if you need to move it a little ( up or down / left or right), the screwdriver bits are there to fix the electic rotiserie if you are using one.. Or you might discover a loose screw on one of the outside chairs or table while you braai. But most important it really looks cool to use a leatherman...

You use the blade (knife part) or to check the T-bone, or chicken breast

Haibo! Braai Rule #3872 sub-section a, paragraph 3 in the rule book.

1. 3872-a)3): Thou shalt never cut the meat to check if it’s ready. Thou shalt simply know by the way it feels when thou squeezeth it and the juices runneth out :santa:

Good thinking on the looking cool though. Rule #9927 sub-section k, paragraph 8. :santa:

Archived