World Strictest parents, Aussie teens in JHB

FlowersInOz

:ilikeit: I Loved the Simon's family in Texas!! Wow never seen kids more shocked in my life!! Go Boot Camp!!!! :ilikeit:

I Loved the Simon's family in Texas!! Wow never seen kids more shocked in my life!! Go Boot Camp!!!!

I enjoyed it too, seeing that tough guy teenager blubbing like a baby after 2 minutes of boot camp. It was nice that the two kids had a positive experience in the end.

Hehe! :whome: It's time these Aussie kids get some Boere R&R! :unsure:

It's time these Aussie kids get some Boere R&R!

About that, in this weeks episode they are going to an afrikaans family in South Africa.

I enjoyed it too, seeing that tough guy teenager blubbing like a baby after 2 minutes of boot camp. It was nice that the two kids had a positive experience in the end.

:whome: Yep, I loved it! Mr Big shot - soon got cut down to size hey.... :holy: Geez, some of these kids are feral! It is sickening!! :unsure:

Erica

Invariably these kids come from families where the influence of the father is non-existent or absent.

It makes you soberly think about the real role of dads in families.

My son, now 27, does work with troubled kids that come from dysfunctional backgrounds and finds that the boundaries he sets are just so appreciated by kids.

They can grow up within those boundaries, as long as they are fair, and be children . . . . not have to worry about the adult side of life as a 10 or 12 year old.

With the boundaries come the consequences if they step beyond them, but as long as the consequences are fair and applied consistently, the kids can grow up with some sort of stability in their lives which has been lacking due to the dysfunctionality in their family life.

Sadly, what you see on TV each week, are kids that set their own boundaries and suffer as a result.

They really need fair boundaries set and fair consequences applied.

It's a no-brainer in the end!

You hit the nail on the head Bob.

Who ever you are, where ever you live in the world, what ever is on your bank balance, parenting 101 pretty much comes down to those few lines.

Absolutely - yet, so many parents get it wrong... :(

Invariably these kids come from families where the influence of the father is non-existent or absent.

It makes you soberly think about the real role of dads in families.

My son, now 27, does work with troubled kids that come from dysfunctional backgrounds and finds that the boundaries he sets are just so appreciated by kids.

They can grow up within those boundaries, as long as they are fair, and be children . . . . not have to worry about the adult side of life as a 10 or 12 year old.

With the boundaries come the consequences if they step beyond them, but as long as the consequences are fair and applied consistently, the kids can grow up with some sort of stability in their lives which has been lacking due to the dysfunctionality in their family life.

Sadly, what you see on TV each week, are kids that set their own boundaries and suffer as a result.

They really need fair boundaries set and fair consequences applied.

How very true and how very sad Bob! Let's hope these kids can get the help they need to put them on the right paths! :( to your son for helping these kids!

Erica

So last night we had the little boy/girl....hmm, boy? Ai whatever, doing a whole boo hoo having to have his hair cut..... :D But he soon caught a wake up - and surprised the SA family with his 'tow the line' behavior...... :blink: BUT as for that little wench - who kicked her own mom in the stomach - and then disrespected the SA family - oh, la, la.......thank your lucky stars you were not in my home Missy!! Feral, feral, feral.......and what a lovely SA family they were! I would have left her in that Township!!! :D after she ran away looking to buy ciggies!!

Erica

It was pretty interesting. I was shocked to see her leave the school area and just walk down those dangerous, poverty stricken shanti-town streets. Those Aussie kids are so innocent in some ways...

It was pretty interesting. I was shocked to see her leave the school area and just walk down those dangerous, poverty stricken shanti-town streets. Those Aussie kids are so innocent in some ways...

My heart broke when she just was treating her mom like that - and this poor mother just broke down - utterly helpless at her daughters rage and shocking behavior.... :wacko: did not even have the gall to say good-bye at the airport to her mom - and by the looks of it, these kids come from okay homes - I do not know what to think..... :blink: I was watching and thought that my kids and their door slamming stints were bad - but that is way out of order...... :D Sorry....have to disagree with you - they are not innocent at all..... :D innocence to me is something pure.....this is so the opposite.

Erica

I think you misunderstand my meaning. I meant they were innocent in some ways, meaning that they don't know of the dangers of walking around in the townships. Like the De Kock father said, she could have been taken into a sidestreet and raped. :blink: As tough as they are / appear to be / are trying to be, there are some things they know nothing about.

I was also referring to the fact that the two Aussie kids don't know poverty and how grateful some people are for the opportunity to go to school and get one meal a day at school .

I think you misunderstand my meaning. I meant they were innocent in some ways, meaning that they don't know of the dangers of walking around in the townships. Like the De Kock father said, she could have been taken into a sidestreet and raped. :D As tough as they are / appear to be / are trying to be, there are some things they know nothing about.

I was also referring to the fact that the two Aussie kids don't know poverty and how grateful some people are for the opportunity to go to school and get one meal a day at school .

Yes on that point true! They also have WAY too much freedom - just last Saturday, my 11 year old daughter asked is she along with 3 of her school mates could go to the Mall. I asked her which mom is going with, to which she replied no one - we are going alone, the mums are dropping us off at noon and fetching us at 4pm??? WHAT???? One of the little girls is just 10!! Of course I was the worlds worse mom that day for not letting her go with - way too much - way too soon, and then they turn out like that, yes innocent to the fact that she could have got herself raped or murdered - not to being a rather evil person to the people who love her! No excuse for that attitude, her mom even said she is scared she is going to get hurt here. Did you hear how she told the SA class how she likes to get as drunk as she can - stay out till 3am - and destroy neighbors letterboxes on the way home...........just nice..... :blink:

Erica

Tks for the updates. I'm sad we missed that episode. It sounds quite hectic. It just amazes me how these teens get out of hand.

Tks for the updates. I'm sad we missed that episode. It sounds quite hectic. It just amazes me how these teens get out of hand.

you can catch up all the missed episodes on www.yahoo7.com.au , look for channel 7 TV. I have just watched it a few minutes ago, unfortunately I think one week is way too short and it should be for a few more weeks for it to have any impact on these teenagers lives.

As much as all those kids on the show are feral, and I must admit the girl this week was the worst I've seen on the show, but in saying that the girls generally seem to be worse than the boys!!! I feel incredibly sorry for them. We have a teenage daughter and 2 young sons, 4&5 so we get to meet and spend time with a wide range of parents. Alot of our friends who have kids around 3-6 years old let their kids rule their lives cos "its easier" and I'm talking about people who are 2 parent families to. They give in to EVERYTHING at the shops, when my one friend comes to visit me she "has" to stay until her daughter decides its time to go home - never mind me and if I have anything I want to do or if its at night I might wanna go to bed - if she says no its no. So there we sit while this child chucks a tanty! Its annoying and I dont enjoy having her over cos I dread home time (and its not even my kid!!) She buys her whatever she wants from the shops and then says "but she doesn't get it, I hide the things from her, well most at least" :) I try help her by telling her how I cope at the shops with my 4yr old and she just says "oh that wont work with ...." My other friend whose daughter is 5 comes over and her kid WONT listen, I asked her not to swing on the bench top cos we hadn't finished the reno's on our house and it was "clipped" on but not glued and could take the weight of a couple plates but not an elephant swinging on it, and she just refused, til the whole thing fell off on top of her dented my brand new wooden floors and broke dishes!! Oh of course it bumped her head then the mother was the moering with me!!! Seriously they need to get a grip cos their kids are gonna be the ones needing this show in 10years time!!

IMO the kids on the show didn't wake up like that one morning, they have been allowed to rule over their parents their whole lives and when they were little it wasn't as bad but now its a HUGE problem. I'm not trying to be harsh but how you rear your kids in the early years is how they will behave and live in the later teen years :( again JMO

Yup . . . some parents just don't get it.

They think up all sorts of excuses to make life "easier" for themselves, for not disciplining their kids, but the role of mum and dad is to teach your kids to behave appropriately and with consideration for others.

The role of parents is to teach them to grow wings and fly . . . . not hang on to them and keep them in the nest all their years.

Yup . . . some parents just don't get it.

They think up all sorts of excuses to make life "easier" for themselves, for not disciplining their kids, but the role of mum and dad is to teach your kids to behave appropriately and with consideration for others.

The role of parents is to teach them to grow wings and fly . . . . not hang on to them and keep them in the nest all their years.

So well put Bob! I am glad this post came up as this 'freedom giving' attitude by parents is sometimes making my life hard! Besides the mall episode regarding my 11 year old - she was invited to a as she calls it a 'night party' by her mate whose sister was turning 13.... :) from 7pm - 11pm... :( Once again I said NO - explaining that her age, I would have never been allowed to go to a party at night - and I do think she is way to young as she has her whole life ahead of her, her days of partying and dancing will come - trying to smooth things out! Her mates only called her whilst the party was going on - music playing and kids having a good time - and she was in tears that I was such a horrible mom!! It happens often that I have to put my foot down - she to me is still very much a LITTLE girl - and I was not at all at ease with the fact of her being at a party with older kids. So most of her mates thought I am a prude - I think not, I am doing what I thought was right - yes she will grow wings and fly one day - but not too soon.... :o

Erica

I saw a kid in our local woolies the other day, it was having such a huge tantrum that 2 of the Woolies staff had to carry the kid out of the shop, she was screaming like no tomorrow - if I was the mum I would walk out and totally ignore the kid, I would NEVER have behaved that way as a kid!!

Some of those teenagers just need a big hiding, have you noticed though that the dads are never the ones trying to discipline the kids in the "before" clips??

There is so much political correctness and fear around raising children in Australia. People are scared of disciplining their children because it might scar them or someone witnessing the dicipline in public might call the police or child services on them. It's really tough being a parent in our current age when children have so many rights. (Which is good, but everything is like a coin - good side and bad side.)

It is a difficult thing. A few decades ago many of the older generations were diciplined harshly. Especially those who grew up in religious backgrounds. It is partly because of this background that many people take it easy on their children and don't discipline in the same way that we South Africans do or would.

I strongly recommend people try to get hold of the 4 part tv series "The making of modern Australia". You'll understand the dynamics of Australia a lot better and not look at my train of thought as if I'm some alien. :(:) It has just finished airing on Thursday nights and I recommend it as a quick crash course for newly arrived people to try to see Australia from Australia's background and point of view. Many South Africans who come here struggle for years to understand the Aussie way because it is so different from how we (especially Afrikaners) see things and how we grew up. When you've watched the documentary you'll have more understanding and compassion for the things that Aussies do and why they do it. I'm sure it may be for sale in ABC shops soon.

I saw a kid in our local woolies the other day, it was having such a huge tantrum that 2 of the Woolies staff had to carry the kid out of the shop, she was screaming like no tomorrow - if I was the mum I would walk out and totally ignore the kid, I would NEVER have behaved that way as a kid!!

Some of those teenagers just need a big hiding, have you noticed though that the dads are never the ones trying to discipline the kids in the "before" clips??

:o Yeah candivw - I remember giving my mom lip at a young age - got a klap of note!! Our parents back then just gave us THAT LOOK - JUST ONE LOOK - and we knew........ :( As for temper tantrums - tee hee, I too have seen a few here - I feel just awful for the moms involved.... :)

Erica

Hehe! :lol: It's time these Aussie kids get some Boere R&R! :lol:

Thought that I would put this weeks episode into some perspective vis a vis the South African/Australian connection.

The two Aussie participants were from the lower end of the Australian socio economic strata ........and their behaviour was/is staged for the so called reality show. However I have no doubt that there are many children/teenagers around who are as obnoxious and ill desciplined as the two teenager featured.

Notwithstanding the fact that the two Aussie teenagers featured were from the lower end of the socio economic strata, they seemed to live in reasonable homes in Australia.........

most children/teenagers in South Africa from the (same) lower end of the socio economic strata would be living in a township (similar to the one featured in this weeks episode) and probably in a house that has no running water or electricity. :( and would probably be just as obnoxious and ill desciplined.

....and hey I really loved the tough South African parents who live behind a fenced/gated high security golf/housing estate called Dainfern who only talked tough but did nothing to walk the talk.....and their sweet little boys looked like real little pansis to me :lol::lol::whome: I noted that they also kept the maid and the gardner out of the limelight :whome::)

Happy to compare like with like...........the rich Dainfern family's two boys would have little or know idea of the environment that the two Aussie kids have been brought up in....

nor that of their black neighbours in the squatter camp literally five hundred metres from Dainfern.... :o

Reality shows are in my opinion are an aberration of reality.... :whome:

Enjoy!

Manny

If you let your kids treat you like dirt, they will. I would never have dreamt of speaking back to my mom, because I knew there would be consequences, and she would stick to it. These days you see a lot of parents pleading and bribing kids with toys...rubbish, just say no and stick to it, and if they carry on, they should get punished. I still behave in my old age now, because as most of you know, moms have eyes on the back of their heads and they're psychic, so even if you're not near them, they know when you're up to no good!

Archived