Silver Member

• Resigned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Landed:Jan 2004
  • RSA Location:Gauteng
  • Language:-----

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

As advertised, Channel 7's World Strictest parents are going to be in Johannesburg. The add looks pretty interesting.
I hope the link works)

#2 mom of 3

mom of 3

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Landed:Mar 2010
  • RSA Location:Alberton
  • Language:English

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

:ilikeit: I Loved the Simon's family in Texas!! Wow never seen kids more shocked in my life!! Go Boot Camp!!!! :ilikeit:

#3 Mikej

Mikej

Certified Addict!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Landed:Oct 2007
  • RSA Location:4 ways

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

I Loved the Simon's family in Texas!! Wow never seen kids more shocked in my life!! Go Boot Camp!!!!

I enjoyed it too, seeing that tough guy teenager blubbing like a baby after 2 minutes of boot camp. It was nice that the two kids had a positive experience in the end.

#4 Riekie

Riekie

Sydney Host

• Hosts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Biographies, Travel, Writing, Outdoor, Family,
  • Landed:Nov 2004
  • RSA Location:Centurion, Gauteng
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hehe! :whome: It's time these Aussie kids get some Boere R&R! :unsure:

#5 Mikej

Mikej

Certified Addict!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Landed:Oct 2007
  • RSA Location:4 ways

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

It's time these Aussie kids get some Boere R&R!

About that, in this weeks episode they are going to an afrikaans family in South Africa.

#6 EricaC

EricaC

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Interests:My husband, children and dogs - tops all! Music concerts - along with V8 cars! Tauranga Speedway, Mount Mauganui Beach, our first HAKA!! - BBQ'S. Breathing in the first morning crisp, clean air and simply appreciating all creatures great and small - and loving each God given day!
  • Landed:Jan 2009
  • RSA Location:Cape Town

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

I enjoyed it too, seeing that tough guy teenager blubbing like a baby after 2 minutes of boot camp. It was nice that the two kids had a positive experience in the end.

:whome: Yep, I loved it! Mr Big shot - soon got cut down to size hey.... :holy: Geez, some of these kids are feral! It is sickening!! :unsure:

Erica

#7 Bob

Bob

Citizen

• Members
  • 3,040 posts
  • Interests:Travel, barbies with mates, camping, 4WDing, bush-walking, sitting under my verandah watching the sun set in the West
  • Landed:With Capt. Cook
  • RSA Location:on 1 month holiday there in 1985

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

Invariably these kids come from families where the influence of the father is non-existent or absent.

It makes you soberly think about the real role of dads in families.

My son, now 27, does work with troubled kids that come from dysfunctional backgrounds and finds that the boundaries he sets are just so appreciated by kids.

They can grow up within those boundaries, as long as they are fair, and be children . . . . not have to worry about the adult side of life as a 10 or 12 year old.

With the boundaries come the consequences if they step beyond them, but as long as the consequences are fair and applied consistently, the kids can grow up with some sort of stability in their lives which has been lacking due to the dysfunctionality in their family life.

Sadly, what you see on TV each week, are kids that set their own boundaries and suffer as a result.

They really need fair boundaries set and fair consequences applied.

It's a no-brainer in the end!

#8 rozellem

rozellem

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
  • Landed:Nov 2008
  • RSA Location:Somerset West

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

You hit the nail on the head Bob.
Who ever you are, where ever you live in the world, what ever is on your bank balance, parenting 101 pretty much comes down to those few lines.

#9 Riekie

Riekie

Sydney Host

• Hosts
  • 5,179 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Biographies, Travel, Writing, Outdoor, Family,
  • Landed:Nov 2004
  • RSA Location:Centurion, Gauteng

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

Absolutely - yet, so many parents get it wrong... :(

#10 EricaC

EricaC

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 1,856 posts
  • Interests:My husband, children and dogs - tops all! Music concerts - along with V8 cars! Tauranga Speedway, Mount Mauganui Beach, our first HAKA!! - BBQ'S. Breathing in the first morning crisp, clean air and simply appreciating all creatures great and small - and loving each God given day!

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

Invariably these kids come from families where the influence of the father is non-existent or absent.

It makes you soberly think about the real role of dads in families.

My son, now 27, does work with troubled kids that come from dysfunctional backgrounds and finds that the boundaries he sets are just so appreciated by kids.

They can grow up within those boundaries, as long as they are fair, and be children . . . . not have to worry about the adult side of life as a 10 or 12 year old.

With the boundaries come the consequences if they step beyond them, but as long as the consequences are fair and applied consistently, the kids can grow up with some sort of stability in their lives which has been lacking due to the dysfunctionality in their family life.

Sadly, what you see on TV each week, are kids that set their own boundaries and suffer as a result.

They really need fair boundaries set and fair consequences applied.

How very true and how very sad Bob! Let's hope these kids can get the help they need to put them on the right paths! :( to your son for helping these kids!

Erica

#11 EricaC

EricaC

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

So last night we had the little boy/girl....hmm, boy? Ai whatever, doing a whole boo hoo having to have his hair cut..... :D But he soon caught a wake up - and surprised the SA family with his 'tow the line' behavior...... :blink: BUT as for that little wench - who kicked her own mom in the stomach - and then disrespected the SA family - oh, la, la.......thank your lucky stars you were not in my home Missy!! Feral, feral, feral.......and what a lovely SA family they were! I would have left her in that Township!!! :D after she ran away looking to buy ciggies!!

Erica

#12 FlowersInOz

FlowersInOz

Silver Member

• Resigned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

It was pretty interesting. I was shocked to see her leave the school area and just walk down those dangerous, poverty stricken shanti-town streets. Those Aussie kids are so innocent in some ways...

#13 EricaC

EricaC

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

It was pretty interesting. I was shocked to see her leave the school area and just walk down those dangerous, poverty stricken shanti-town streets. Those Aussie kids are so innocent in some ways...

My heart broke when she just was treating her mom like that - and this poor mother just broke down - utterly helpless at her daughters rage and shocking behavior.... :wacko: did not even have the gall to say good-bye at the airport to her mom - and by the looks of it, these kids come from okay homes - I do not know what to think..... :blink: I was watching and thought that my kids and their door slamming stints were bad - but that is way out of order...... :D Sorry....have to disagree with you - they are not innocent at all..... :D innocence to me is something pure.....this is so the opposite.

Erica

#14 FlowersInOz

FlowersInOz

Silver Member

• Resigned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

I think you misunderstand my meaning. I meant they were innocent in some ways, meaning that they don't know of the dangers of walking around in the townships. Like the De Kock father said, she could have been taken into a sidestreet and raped. :blink: As tough as they are / appear to be / are trying to be, there are some things they know nothing about.

I was also referring to the fact that the two Aussie kids don't know poverty and how grateful some people are for the opportunity to go to school and get one meal a day at school .

Edited by FlowersInOz, 19 August 2010 - 10:09 PM.

#15 EricaC

EricaC

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

I think you misunderstand my meaning. I meant they were innocent in some ways, meaning that they don't know of the dangers of walking around in the townships. Like the De Kock father said, she could have been taken into a sidestreet and raped. :D As tough as they are / appear to be / are trying to be, there are some things they know nothing about.

I was also referring to the fact that the two Aussie kids don't know poverty and how grateful some people are for the opportunity to go to school and get one meal a day at school .

Yes on that point true! They also have WAY too much freedom - just last Saturday, my 11 year old daughter asked is she along with 3 of her school mates could go to the Mall. I asked her which mom is going with, to which she replied no one - we are going alone, the mums are dropping us off at noon and fetching us at 4pm??? WHAT???? One of the little girls is just 10!! Of course I was the worlds worse mom that day for not letting her go with - way too much - way too soon, and then they turn out like that, yes innocent to the fact that she could have got herself raped or murdered - not to being a rather evil person to the people who love her! No excuse for that attitude, her mom even said she is scared she is going to get hurt here. Did you hear how she told the SA class how she likes to get as drunk as she can - stay out till 3am - and destroy neighbors letterboxes on the way home...........just nice..... :blink:

Erica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users