Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Landed:Mar 2011
  • RSA Location:Bellville
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

When visiting Oz for visa validation trip do we tick question A or B on page 2 of incoming passanger card??

And what to do on the outgoing card if we do not have an address in Australia?

#17 Milada (Ms Maritz)

Milada (Ms Maritz)

175 MODL Online

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Visa!
  • Landed:May 2009
  • RSA Location:Secunda
  • Language:Afrikaans

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

When I came back to Aus now, I had quite a lot of Africa curios with me, so I've ticked Wooden articles. I've also had Green Rooibos tea, so ticked food. And I had a painted ostrich egg with me, so ticked number 8 ... animal products. I've packed them all in one suitcase for easy access. They've inspected all my goods, and all were cleared without any problems. The custom lady did ask the supervisor about the ostrich egg, but he immediately said no problem.... The African curios consisted of African people made of wood, a wooden zebra, a small painting on canvas with original back wooden frame - ha-ha - looked suspicious to me, a wooden tray.... all sorts of wooden stuff.

The previous time I came here, I brought home-made biscuits with me.... declared it and it went through customs without a problem.

Moral of the story.... DECLARE!!!!!!

And no fruit!

And no biltong!!!

And remember to tick Yes at number 11 - Have you been in Africa....? Yes, you have!! My in-laws answered No there, and got a quite a rude welcome to Australia, because they were not honest :ilikeit:

I was also very unsure if you answer A or B when validating your visa..... So I answered A..... because to me I was not a visitor..... worried a bit about it, because I had a return ticket to South Africa - so obviously not planning to stay permanently....!! But I got no hassles from it, and luckily nowadays I can just tick C! BUT - if you don't have your visa yet, and are really just on a LSD as a tourist, you must tick B.

They've only looked at my visa the first time I've entered..... the other two times they simply scan your passport, then all your details appear on their computer screen and I assume from there they can see what visa you have and if you are legal in their country :ilikeit:

If you don't have an address for the incoming card - entering Australia - put the address of the first hotel or first address you are planning to stay..... and your South African cell number and e-mail address..... they just need a way to contact you if needed....!

#18 Jordy

Jordy

Australian Citizen

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Cycling, our forum,
  • Landed:May 2008
  • RSA Location:Honeydew, Gauteng
  • Language:English

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

And I had a painted ostrich egg with me, so ticked number 8 ... animal products. They've inspected all my goods, and all were cleared without any problems. The custom lady did ask the supervisor about the ostrich egg, but he immediately said no problem....

I just wish they were consistant. On border patrol the other night they had a whole segment on an ostrich egg and it had to be gamma ray treated and posted to the person later.

#19 Milada (Ms Maritz)

Milada (Ms Maritz)

175 MODL Online

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Visa!
  • Landed:May 2009
  • RSA Location:Secunda
  • Language:Afrikaans

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

I just wish they were consistant. On border patrol the other night they had a whole segment on an ostrich egg and it had to be gamma ray treated and posted to the person later.

I haven't watched that episode, so cannot comment on their egg.... but my ostrich egg was painted - fully covered in paint.... maybe that's the difference.

I wouldn't, however, bring an ostrich egg into the country via a container.... think those customs are more strict!

#20 Toitjie

Toitjie

Citizen

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • Interests:Horseback riding; reading, outdoor activities, snorkeling, travelling
  • RSA Location:Pretoria

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

These cards also need to be filled in with a BLACK pen. My dad dis his with a blue pen, and customs made him do it over

#21 Riekie

Riekie

Sydney Host

• Hosts
  • 5,169 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Biographies, Travel, Writing, Outdoor, Family,
  • Landed:Nov 2004
  • RSA Location:Centurion, Gauteng

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

All passenger cards are kept forever! (It is scanned - therefore the black pen...)

They make notes on your passenger card and when you come in here and tick something on your card which does not agree with previous ones, they'll get you. If you say you did not know something and it was on a previous card, they'll get you... Bottom line is - be honest. It is "Un-Australian" not to be :ilikeit:

#22 Avatar

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Landed:Jun 2010
  • RSA Location:Johannesburg
  • Language:English/Afrikaans

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:01 AM

I'd also like to know what you fill in when you enter and leave for a visa activation trip: are you considered a visitor, as you don't have an Australian address yet? Or are you considered a resident already? Please post answers if you know. I'm definitely going to ask when we pass through customs again. Thanks. :ilikeit:

Edited by Tree, 13 May 2010 - 04:23 AM.

#23 Kit

Kit

Spazzmatazz!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Landed:Feb 2011
  • RSA Location:Cape Town

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

I'd also like to know - we're activating our visa in August, moving probably April next year...

#24 Jill

Jill

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Reading, baking, cycling, walking.
  • Landed:Aug 2007
  • RSA Location:Durban

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for this topic, my daughter is flying on her own to the UK in August, is this the same passenger card she will see, does anyone know, just want to show her, so she knows what is happening.

Thanks Jill

#25 JacquesV

JacquesV

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, surfing, cycling, RC Heli's
  • Landed:Sep 2011
  • RSA Location:Cape Town - Parklands
  • Language:English/Afrikaans

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

I'd also like to know - we're activating our visa in August, moving probably April next year...

My understanding is that you're still a visitor until you've moved there.

EDIT: This is also done for tax purposes. I read this somewhere on this forum last week...sorry don't have the link.

Edited by Jacques and Natalie, 24 May 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#26 K-Vdm

K-Vdm

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Landed:Jun 2011
  • RSA Location:Boksburg

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

Hi there,

Do we need to make a list of all the meds we take with? I am hoping to take quite a bit of kiddies meds and general over the counter stuff?
Also have loads of vitamins and I want to take all those on the plane too?

Does anyone know if this will be a problem - I will obviously declare it all?

#27 Enrica

Enrica

Citizen

• Members
  • 2,958 posts
  • Landed:Jun 2000

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hi

If you have prescription medication it must be declare on your passengers cards under the "drugs"section.
You can bring the vitamins and over the counter medication. The only thing you will have a problem with is any medication that is in liquid form
in your hand lugage cannot be more that 100mls if it is not prescription medication.

It is advisable to declare the over counter medication to the customers officer, just in case they have an issue.

#28 bigmac

bigmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • RSA Location:Pretoria

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

Any inputs regarding question 3 - ie what goods are referred to.

Should one declare yes if carrying your laptop, camera etc, even if "old". That together with other luggage could easily be over $900 total. Is this the type of "goods" being referred to?

#29 Garrick

Garrick

MichelleO's Husband

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Landed:Feb 2010

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Any inputs regarding question 3 - ie what goods are referred to.

Should one declare yes if carrying your laptop, camera etc, even if "old". That together with other luggage could easily be over $900 total. Is this the type of "goods" being referred to?

I do. My laptop is almost 2 years old, but it's worth at purchase was like $2500, and my Camera kit, which is almost almost 2 years old, cost around $2000.

I'm sure that neither has depreciated to the point of being worth less than $500 each...so I just tick that. When I came in last year, they pulled me over and I showed them what I had - that I had purchased the camera IN Oz (paid GST, did not claim it back) when we did our LSD and the Laptop went through without an issue - lots of people travel with laptops, so they tend to ignore those in the valuation - though they might scan it for drugs, etc. as we've seen in Border Security. :P

-G

Edited by Garrick, 09 May 2011 - 09:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users