Incoming & Outgoing passenger card

Jenn

Incoming passenger card front and back - orange colour

Outgoing passenger card front and back - green colour

post-13660-1262976442.jpg

post-13660-1262976468.jpg

Thanx Jordy.

Hope it will help answer questions of what can we bring in Australia and what do we need to declare at customs.

Jennifer

Hi everyone

I just want to know if everyone in the family should complete the incoming passenger card or just the main visa holder.

Kind regards

G

Everyone completes it. In the case of infants or children, the parents complete it on behalf of the child. (at least this is what we had to do)

Yes every person flying - we came back from Sydney this past Saturday.

Everyone completes it. In the case of infants or children, the parents complete it on behalf of the child. (at least this is what we had to do)

Can we print this form on here and "pre-fill" it in or won't that be acceptable?

Looks like 4 forms for us then . . . when we go that is B)

Hi Serendipity

No chance of that, I am afraid, you have to use the cards that they give out on the plane. They do it well before you land though, and I usually complete them immediately, then I can sit back and relax.

Please ensure that you have absolutely no fruit on you when you get off the plane, people have often though because they were given an apple on the plane that they are able to take it with them, no way, just leave it behind.

If you have anything that you wonder if you should declare it, then DECLARE, rather be safe than sorry. If they find something on you, they may just warn you, but they could also fine you $220 or for repeat offenders the fines become horrendous.

We arrived in Perth, waiting for our bags on the belt, not even through customs yet, when the lady with a sniffer dog walked around and stopped a woman as the dog sniffed something. She had to open her bag, and they found an apple. The ladyasked to see the passenger card, and unfortunately she did not declare the apple. She was fined on the spot.. So be careful.

Apparently it’s illegal for somebody else to fill in your landing card for you. Everybody has to fill in their own. (children excepted of course)

You learn something (from Border Security on TV) every day. :lol:

Hi Serendipity

No chance of that, I am afraid, you have to use the cards that they give out on the plane. They do it well before you land though, and I usually complete them immediately, then I can sit back and relax.

Please ensure that you have absolutely no fruit on you when you get off the plane, people have often though because they were given an apple on the plane that they are able to take it with them, no way, just leave it behind.

If you have anything that you wonder if you should declare it, then DECLARE, rather be safe than sorry. If they find something on you, they may just warn you, but they could also fine you $220 or for repeat offenders the fines become horrendous.

Thanks Mara

Was just trying to get ahead of myself there - so used to filling our forms, what's another one.

No funny things will be going with us on board or in the hull - only all my electronic goodies will be on board with us,

not taking a chance of if being nicked!!! Between us we will have 28kgs so that should be ok.

S

Hi,

Please take notice of Mara's suggestion about fruits. On Qantas JHB-Sydney, you get a snack bag during the flight and one of the snack is a Safari dried fruit mix packet. They were confiscated from us at customs though packet unopened.

Similar to Bullebak story, we also experienced the sniffer dog. I had a laptop backpack on the shoulder and the guys gave me a little tap on the shoulder and said please all bags on the floor. I put the bag down, dog sniffed and left.

Jennifer

• 3 months later...

When visiting Oz for visa validation trip do we tick question A or B on page 2 of incoming passanger card??

When visiting Oz for visa validation trip do we tick question A or B on page 2 of incoming passanger card??

And what to do on the outgoing card if we do not have an address in Australia?

When I came back to Aus now, I had quite a lot of Africa curios with me, so I've ticked Wooden articles. I've also had Green Rooibos tea, so ticked food. And I had a painted ostrich egg with me, so ticked number 8 ... animal products. I've packed them all in one suitcase for easy access. They've inspected all my goods, and all were cleared without any problems. The custom lady did ask the supervisor about the ostrich egg, but he immediately said no problem.... The African curios consisted of African people made of wood, a wooden zebra, a small painting on canvas with original back wooden frame - ha-ha - looked suspicious to me, a wooden tray.... all sorts of wooden stuff.

The previous time I came here, I brought home-made biscuits with me.... declared it and it went through customs without a problem.

Moral of the story.... DECLARE!!!!!!

And no fruit!

And no biltong!!!

And remember to tick Yes at number 11 - Have you been in Africa....? Yes, you have!! My in-laws answered No there, and got a quite a rude welcome to Australia, because they were not honest :ilikeit:

I was also very unsure if you answer A or B when validating your visa..... So I answered A..... because to me I was not a visitor..... worried a bit about it, because I had a return ticket to South Africa - so obviously not planning to stay permanently....!! But I got no hassles from it, and luckily nowadays I can just tick C! BUT - if you don't have your visa yet, and are really just on a LSD as a tourist, you must tick B.

They've only looked at my visa the first time I've entered..... the other two times they simply scan your passport, then all your details appear on their computer screen and I assume from there they can see what visa you have and if you are legal in their country :ilikeit:

If you don't have an address for the incoming card - entering Australia - put the address of the first hotel or first address you are planning to stay..... and your South African cell number and e-mail address..... they just need a way to contact you if needed....!

And I had a painted ostrich egg with me, so ticked number 8 ... animal products. They've inspected all my goods, and all were cleared without any problems. The custom lady did ask the supervisor about the ostrich egg, but he immediately said no problem....

I just wish they were consistant. On border patrol the other night they had a whole segment on an ostrich egg and it had to be gamma ray treated and posted to the person later.

I just wish they were consistant. On border patrol the other night they had a whole segment on an ostrich egg and it had to be gamma ray treated and posted to the person later.

I haven't watched that episode, so cannot comment on their egg.... but my ostrich egg was painted - fully covered in paint.... maybe that's the difference.

I wouldn't, however, bring an ostrich egg into the country via a container.... think those customs are more strict!

These cards also need to be filled in with a BLACK pen. My dad dis his with a blue pen, and customs made him do it over

• 3 weeks later...

All passenger cards are kept forever! (It is scanned - therefore the black pen...)

They make notes on your passenger card and when you come in here and tick something on your card which does not agree with previous ones, they'll get you. If you say you did not know something and it was on a previous card, they'll get you... Bottom line is - be honest. It is "Un-Australian" not to be :ilikeit:

I'd also like to know what you fill in when you enter and leave for a visa activation trip: are you considered a visitor, as you don't have an Australian address yet? Or are you considered a resident already? Please post answers if you know. I'm definitely going to ask when we pass through customs again. Thanks. :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also like to know - we're activating our visa in August, moving probably April next year...

Hi guys,

Thanks for this topic, my daughter is flying on her own to the UK in August, is this the same passenger card she will see, does anyone know, just want to show her, so she knows what is happening.

Thanks Jill

I'd also like to know - we're activating our visa in August, moving probably April next year...

My understanding is that you're still a visitor until you've moved there.

EDIT: This is also done for tax purposes. I read this somewhere on this forum last week...sorry don't have the link.

Archived