Renewal of SA Passport in Australia

Jenn

Hi,

Had anyone on the forum have to renew their SA passport in Australia, please share your experience. What documents needed, what was the lead time and was it easier than doing it at Home Affairs South Africa? Did you have to arrange to get the Australia visa put in new passport?

Our little one's passport will expire next year and we will be in Brisbane. Wanted to renew now but Home Affairs said it will take 8-10 weeks but no guarantee and can't travel until receive new passport. We are leaving at the end of the month so doing it in SA isn't an option.

Jennifer

Hi

It was much easier than at Home affairs.

We got the forms from the website of the South African office in Canberra, got the photos’ and forms signed by police – one days job.

Then you send it of – cant remember the “wait†time frame they gave but the new passport was here in that time – think 6 weeks.

We had a problem with something and phoned then – getting hold of them was a bit of a hick-up but once we had them on the phone it was friendly, smooth sailing and the problem was corrected immediately.

Thank You. Feel more comfortable. Current processing time from Australia is 3 months.

• 1 month later...

Hi we sent our passports in on Dec 5 2009, they were sent from Canberra on the 11th Dec and its mid Feb and we are still waiting.

Our daughters passport has now "gone for printing", but we all still in process.

There is a link to check your status here http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/enquiry/pas...pass_status.asp

"We got the forms from the website of the South African office in Canberra, got the photos’ and forms signed by police – one days job."

Jaxmvr, what web site did you use to get the forms off?

• 1 month later...

Sent application mid-Feb to Canberra. Waiting.

Jennifer

Mine took 6 weeks from the time I posted them to Canberra to when I received them.

• 3 weeks later...

Application posted on 18 Feb. Application received in Canberra on the 24 Feb and sent to Home Affairs for processing. New child passport collected today by registered post. 2 months. Good as they said 3 months.

The page with the photo and details is in plastic (not sure if that is the new one with the chip in) and writing and southern africa embossed.

Relieved did it much in advance just in case. Much better experience renewing in Australia and not having to call to follow up on status.

Jennifer

Hi,

Would like to transfer visa label in new passport.

DIAC call centre said to fill in form 929 Form 929 and details will be changed electronically. Anybody else had to do it this way?

Jennifer

• 3 weeks later...

Jenn, did you get it sorted yet?

Hi

Not yet. Been very busy with work and haven't had time to go to CBD. Need to be there 9-13pm.

Will try do it asap.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

Sent our Passports in around Middle March and received them last Friday. Took approx 3 months which they said it would take. My wife took the new passports in today to get our visa put in & this was done same time. So we have our new passorts & visa sorted.

• 9 months later...

Hi All

Renewed my passport and had a question regarding the 175 Visa label transferred.

I've been going through numerous posts, but I'm unable to find specific information on how to get the 175 Visa label transferred both electronically and physically to the new passport. All I could find was Form 929, but no further information on transferring it physically - I don't want to travel both passports.

So, apart from completing Form 929 - how do go about getting it physically put it. Do I take form 929 to someone in town (I'm in Brisbane), do I courier/post it to someone in Canberra, etc.

Thanks for reading!

Jaans

Archived