Composite classes

Brissy Bessies

My daughter has been put in a Year 2/3 composite class for next year? We're waiting for the school to re-open for this year as we were only told on the last day and don't have much information on composite classes. Please let me know your thoughts re: these if you have had children in composite classes before?

My daughter has been put in a Year 2/3 composite class for next year? We're waiting for the school to re-open for this year as we were only told on the last day and don't have much information on composite classes. Please let me know your thoughts re: these if you have had children in composite classes before?

From a relief teacher/teacher point of view (she is sitting next to me right now) depends on the child really and their abilities and also the school, however in her opinion, not a great situation to be in as unless the teacher is extremely well organised and aware of childrens capabilities - the children that dont feature at the top or bottom of the class and are really middle stream kind of get overlooked. So do your homework as to where she may fit in the class and speak to the school about your concerns and how they envisage it working for her.

From a relief teacher/teacher point of view (she is sitting next to me right now) depends on the child really and their abilities and also the school, however in her opinion, not a great situation to be in as unless the teacher is extremely well organised and aware of childrens capabilities - the children that dont feature at the top or bottom of the class and are really middle stream kind of get overlooked. So do your homework as to where she may fit in the class and speak to the school about your concerns and how they envisage it working for her.

Also from my point of view (teacher myself) - sent you a pm with the same opinion as mentioned above ......

My daughter was in a year 2/3 split when we lived in Albany.

When we arrived in Oz my daughter should have been starting year 2 but her school in Perth felt it important that she have that " first " year, so we put her in year 1.

In the middle of year 2 we moved to Albany and that school felt she should be in an age appropriate class ( and after looking at her year 1 report)- or year 3.

We agreed to put her in the 2/3 split and the teacher could see if she was coping with the year 3 work, fair enough, if not she could do the year 2 work- I have to say she managed really well, in the top of the class and well above average in the WALNA ( now NAPLAN) testing.

I feel that her settling so well was largely due to a very experienced teacher and the fact that the class was small ( around 15 kids)

Discuss any concerns you might have with the school, see if the teacher is experienced in split classes......... also look at the kids in the class, are there a number of special needs or kids with behaviour problems ( this impacts on teacher /student time)

I sometimes feel as if the student/ teacher relationship is the most important aspect, i.e. a good teacher will get the best out of any child in any circumstances.

Good luck- remember if a particular class isn't working for you, discuss other options with the school.

Interesting topic as both my kids are in composites this year. My youngest child I requested to be in a composite, he is young for his class is in year 2 and will be compositing down in a 1/2 but he is very bright and I feel will cope well. I also know that in our school they put the best teachers into composite classes so I was confident that he would get a good teacher and I was right he has the best in the school. Because there is quite a big gap in ages in classes my son started when he was 4 turning 5 and there were others already 6 turning 7 I would rather him composite down this year than composite up next year in a 3/4 composite where he will be 7 and could be with 10 year olds. My eldest son is in year 6 and is compositing with year 5's but the school has decided to composite all year 5s and 6's so there are 3 year 5/6 classes. I requested the teacher he has got who is really strict so I am happy for this year. I would not have chosen for him to composite normally though as he is older in his class and I think he would do better compositing up than down although he battles with concentration so not compositing would be ideal. I know that there are schools in our area where they composite all years except kindy out of choice because it works really well.

Archived