Quarantine for horse

Mauritzvw

Hi Guys,

Have any of you taken your horses over with you? I would just like to know about the quarantine, what it was like and if they are allowed out their stables etc. My horse is old so not sure if i will take him but i want it to be an option.

Candice

We are also starting the immigration process now. We have a fantastic horse who we love dearly, but it looks like we won't be allowed to take him - see here: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/other

Please advise if you find out otherwise coz our hearts are broken at the thought of having to sell him. :lol:

Legacy i am sure you can take them with, there were some people on the forum who had taken their ponies with them. I will try find out more as my hubby got a call from OZ rail group and they want him to maybe start next year.

Candice

Our horses from SA have been going over to race so i am sure there is a way

I'm not sure you can - because of our African horse sicknes - same reason why international competitiors don't bring their horses here.

When international horses come to Australia to race, they do not mix with local horses, except just in the race. They are stabled in a fully quarantine section and after the race they leave the country again, so they do not mix with the local horse population.

Go to the post by 'Legacy' and check out their link, it states quite clearly the countries from which you can bring horses to stay, unfortunately South Africa is not one of them!

There appears to be a very expensive (and draining to the horse) loophole to bringing in a horse from SA. I found this quote from a member on this site called TBZ saying:

"We are also a "equestrian" family in South Africa. My wife is the competitor and has been riding for +/- 20 years.

We stay on a smallholding in South Africa and this has been the most difficult parts of the decision, leaving the 2 horses, chickens, geese etc. behind. We investigated taking our competitive Dressage Frisian horse across, but the cost is at least R250 000.00 without any complications !! Also for the poor horse it means traveling to 2 different countries before getting to Aus and at least 6 months in quarantine."

I'm quite depressed about the thought of having to part with our horse as he is SO part of our family, but I guess I have to think of my childrens safety, education and freedom of movement first. :whome:

Thanks guys if my horse cant go i will probably stay in SA, had him 10 years , hubby and i dint have kids he like our child :blush:

There appears to be a very expensive (and draining to the horse) loophole to bringing in a horse from SA. I found this quote from a member on this site called TBZ saying:

"We are also a "equestrian" family in South Africa. My wife is the competitor and has been riding for +/- 20 years.

We stay on a smallholding in South Africa and this has been the most difficult parts of the decision, leaving the 2 horses, chickens, geese etc. behind. We investigated taking our competitive Dressage Frisian horse across, but the cost is at least R250 000.00 without any complications !! Also for the poor horse it means traveling to 2 different countries before getting to Aus and at least 6 months in quarantine."

I'm quite depressed about the thought of having to part with our horse as he is SO part of our family, but I guess I have to think of my childrens safety, education and freedom of movement first. :lol: